Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 139

humanpotatohybrid, Carl Roser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Gus solved an overheating problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As some know, I enjoy the old Model Garage stories that used to be in Popular Science magazine. One I read today reminded me of a problem we keep hearing about on the forum.

The Model Garage was called upon to diagnose a car that had started overheating. Stan, the assistant couldn't find anything obviously wrong -- timing and exhaust flow was good, coolant level was proper, water flow appeared normal while looking in the radiator. Stan knew the car was well maintained and had been in for an engine overhaul a year earlier. He doubted the water tube was clogged and with everything else normal, was thoroughly stumped.

Gus came over to save the day and noticed a new looking radiator cap. On questioning the owner he learned the cap had been replaced because the old one started leaking. Looking at the cap, Gus found it was one with a higher pressure rating than the original. Using his phenomenal memory and great deductive skills, it was determined that the thermostat was still the original and that model car used one of the bellows type thermostats.

The gist of the story is apparently the bellows types are designed for no to fairly low pressure caps and won't work in higher pressurized systems. They can also age where the bellows can weaken enough to not overcome the normal pressure and open. The car was overheating because the thermostat couldn't open against the increased pressure caused by the new cap. Removing the radiator cap to check the system let the pressure out and thermostat opened so all appeared to be working normally until cap was replaced and pressure built up again.

Could any of our overheating problems be as simple as a tired old style thermostat. I don't know when Packard stopped using that type but my 47 has one so probably used thru 50 at least -- Maybe longer since the car in question was a mid 50's model. Probably none of our problems are that simple but if there is truth to the story and anyone still has an original thermostat, something to be aware of if installing a new cap with higher pressure rating.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 20:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Gus solved an overheating problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I saw the name Gus and thought that reminded me of the Gus stories; half the reason for buying the magazine. Then I thought no. that's a ridiculous assumption or mind fart...and lo and behold....

Now to figure out why getting rich with a chinchilla ranch never seemed to materialize...

Posted on: 2013/12/23 1:55
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One and the same. For anyone else that enjoyed Model Garage stories, another fan gathered them together. Indexed by decade and year.http://www.gus-stories.org/index.html

Posted on: 2013/12/23 9:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Wonderful site!

The second thing I saw was an article about Roscoe's fuel injected exec....

Life is good!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/12/23 11:35
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, a most interesting story. My '47 Custom has a low temp (140F) bellows type thermostat with a 7lbs radiator cap. The low temp rating is, I believe, to have been used with non-permanent alcohol type anti freeze which has a lower boiling point than the permanent type. Do you think the cap has too high a rating for the bellows type thermostat?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/12/23 12:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mine is also 7 so would think that must be about the max. Packard listed none, 4 1/2 and 7 thru 47 and 7 from 48 thru 50. From 51 - 54 it was still 7 for some models but there was a higher cap made available as was detailed in a counselor article.

Unless the thermostat has gotten tired after XX years and someone starts having unexplained overheating, doubt there is anything to be concerned with. Several different thermostats are listed but no indication of which might be bellows and which are the capsule type. Those don't have the issue. Suspect the capsule type might have been phased in starting with the 51's but who knows if an older type might have been installed at some point.

I related the story because it jogged a memory that several have asked about or even installed higher pressure caps. Just wanted to throw something to be aware of out there for anyone contemplating a change & then has unexplained overheating.

Posted on: 2013/12/23 12:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike Hammerberg
See User information
Gus-stories.org is my site and glad you enjoy it. After a long dry spell from Packard ownership, I just bought a 56 Clipper Constellation from Omaha. This site has impressed me with its resources and knowledge. Mike Hammerberg

Posted on: 2015/3/16 17:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mike in Pinole,
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include your '56 Clipper Constellation in the Packard Owner's Registry. And must say I also enjoy the Gus stories, so for enabling us to continue to enjoy Gus and the knowledge he brings on board.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 1:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Here's the updated link to the Gus Wilson's Model Garage site:

http://www.gus-stories.org/

There is a wealth of information in those articles, thanks Mike for making them available, enjoyed and learned from them for years.

Steve

PS for Mike in Pinole: is your '56 Clipper Constellation from Omaha painted dark turquoise with light turquoise accent and top? I followed one in that color combination for sale on Craigslist for a few years, looked to be in fine original condition. Anyway, show us your new Packard acquisition!

Posted on: 2015/3/17 7:07
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Most likely the increased pressure keeps the bellows compressed, keeps it from expanding and therefore t'stat doesn't open. Wouldn't make any difference if new or old Bellows type.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 10:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved