Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 142

Packardbarry, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Font/typeface of One Twenty, One Sixty, and One Eighty nameplates
Just popping in
Just popping in

Kevin-G
See User information
Hello -

For a design project I'm looking for any information on the font used for the One Twenty, One Sixty, and One Eighty nameplates. A sample is attached. If the font does exist, I'm trying to locate the name of the font, or if the font doesn't exist, any other advertising or examples of this typography.

I consulted a typography forum, and the general consensus is that it was a Packard in-house design and there is no font as such. Any assistance is gratefully appreciated!

Thanks, Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  (15.62 KB)
42221_53028516686bc.jpg 640X427 px

Posted on: 2014/2/17 16:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Font/typeface of One Twenty, One Sixty, and One Eighty nameplates
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Kevin-G,
to PackardInfo.

Probably doesn't refer to the style you're researching but did you see the reference to custom typefaces by Owen_Dyneto in Post #4 in this thread?

Posted on: 2014/2/17 17:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I'd vote for hand lettering. That way the look would be exclusive to the company.

You are aware that there are several Packard and Clipper fonts available on free sites......

Posted on: 2014/2/17 21:28
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A bit of a long shot but if you check the Design Patents listed on the patent plate you just might find that one of them covers the script. Look for 6-digit patent numbers with the prefix "DE" or "DES" and then look them up at the Patent Office.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 23:45
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Kevin-G
See User information
I'd like to thank you all for responding. No sign of this font anywhere else other than the nameplates, at least so far. I am aware of the 'Packard' font that was issued in 1913; this isn't the same one, unfortunately...and the design patent angle is great; will be pursuing this!

Thanks again. Kevin

Posted on: 2014/2/25 17:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I do a lot of graphics work and am familiar with a lot of fonts. This one is definitely a script type. The "O" and "S" are obviously exaggerated (i.e. extended vertically) and the lettering is stretched. My initial though was that it might be Magneto, but when I put that to the test, it is clearly not. I'd suggest you go online and look up popular fonts from the 1930s and 1940s. I think that it is an actual script font as opposed to one created by Packard. I really like the font and design -- it is a classical Art Decco style.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 7:25
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved