Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

brake system problem - 1955 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Hi guys-wondering if you can help me with a problem .I had my car in the shop getting some repairs done and a problem has developed with the power-brakes. What is happening is this; the brakes will stop the car but the pedal is sinking all the way to the floor and the brake pedal itself is fluttering, I also have to pull the pedal up with my foot after the brakes are applied. Yes my car had the BENDIX TREADLE-VAC master cylinder. I had the unit rebuilt by White post restorations so it has a lifetime warranty. this unit was working fine last time I drove the car. The car also has new wheel cylinders, brake shoes and hoses. My mechanic is ready to tear his hair out over this and frankly so am I.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 12:42
 Top  Print 

Re: brake system problem - 1955 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Many, many threads on the (dreaded) BTV and its several failure modes. I too had a BTV rebuilt by White Post Restorations -- one of FOUR failures of different BTVs in my 1955 Pat.

My final solution has lasted the most recent 12 years of the 15 total years I have owned my Pat, with nary a whimper:

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/powerbrakes.html

There are other solutions like mine (including exact copies), but all entail taking the BTV off and replacing it with something else. FWIW, a disc brake conversion is NOT necessary.

Do a search on this website and be prepared to do a lot of reading.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/5/9 12:56
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
send it, back,

internal leak, and vacume leak,,, or the air vent is blocked

Posted on: 2014/5/9 13:14
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd almost bet money you have had a failure in the power section that will require removal and repair/replacement. As to the warranty, believe Ross has pointed out a couple of times that most rebuilders concentrate on the hydraulic side and other than maybe a surface cleaning, don't do much to the power section internals.

For my two cents, unless they offer to trade you another complete unit and you know it is a good one, I would not even mess with a warranty claim. I would just pay the money and see if Ross or someone like him familiar with the power side would go completely thru yours again so you know that it will be done right. I would seriously even consider that even if they do send you another unit.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 13:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Take the unit out and send it to Ed Strain in Pinellas Park, FL. He did mine and many others I know of and they all came out fine. I have heard he has all the parts-even those parts that are not available in the well known rebuild kits.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 21:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Hey thanks GTO do you have his phone number or adress available-you can email me at wauhopm@verizon.net. also how much does he charge?

Posted on: 2014/5/9 23:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
email sent with contact info

Posted on: 2014/5/10 6:52
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joseph Fazzio
See User information
Would you also. email his number so I can see if he does units for the 53's.

fazziomt@aol.com

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/5/10 17:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
.....so I can see if he does units for the 53's.

Yes, he does all the TreadleVacs, plus almost any other power brake unit. He's very widely used throughout the hobby.

Posted on: 2014/5/10 18:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Remove cover from master cylinder. THE COVER, nnot just the filler cap.Use a.socket to remove the compensator valve at centre bottom of fluid reservoir. Cheque valve for.debris. When reinstalling valve BE.ABSOLUTELY SURE THE PEDAL IS depressed at least 1/2 inch to maybe 1 inch down or a little less.(*)
U did not say specifically what kind of work u had done to the car. I assume it was brake work not related to master cylinder but required bleeding of the.brakes which caused debris to backbup into master cylinder which got lodgd in the comp valve.

(*) edited .

Worth a.try to clear the comp valve.as i instructed above.

Posted on: 2014/5/10 22:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved