Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replace '56 Four Hundred Trunk Springs
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
I replaced my trunk springs because the old ones were weak and wouldn't always keep the trunk up; however, when I installed the new springs, the situation is worst now because it doesn't stay up on its own at all.

Is there a certain procedure I need to follow or something else I need to do before or during the installation to ensure they are installed correctly so my trunk will stay up when I open it? I positioned the new springs the same way the old ones were before I removed them. What's the secret??

Posted on: 2014/6/7 21:25
 Top  Print 

Re: Replace '56 Four Hundred Trunk Springs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds as if you don't have quite enough tension. I don't think there is any special procedure but IIRC, it was a pain getting the tension. I think I clamped the hinge in a vise and even made a tool that would hook onto the spring so I could wrap it and get enough force to bring the spring the last few degrees.

On mine, the flat part on the spring enters the slot in the center support from the top. When the spring is wrapped around and hook end inserted under the pin, the diameter of the spring as measured parallel to trunk opening (arrows) thru the center support to just before the end drops down to hook under the pin is slightly over 3 1/4". Does yours fall within that range. If it needs to go another half turn or maybe even a full turn believe it will have a larger diameter.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.09 KB)
209_5393d62850efd.jpg 439X421 px

Posted on: 2014/6/7 22:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Replace '56 Four Hundred Trunk Springs
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Thanks for the info. I finally got a chance to get back to replacing the trunk spring. With the help of two friends and another car to pull the spring far enough around to hook it under the post, we were able to manhandle it to get it installed. Yes, it was definitely a PIA.

Posted on: 2014/6/15 13:53
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved