Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 130

kevinpackard, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Caribbean Courtesy light
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
On the courtesy light of the 1955 Caribbean there are 2 light bulb, one with 2 contacts and one with only 1 contact. My question is which one is at the top and which one is at the bottom of the unit?
Also, under what condition are both on and what makes only one light bulb come on?
Any information is appreciated,
Walter

Posted on: 2014/6/13 6:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Caribbean Courtesy light
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Have you looked in the owners manual? You might see a bulb size, number and usage chart.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 7:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The brighter bulb is the courtesy light that comes on when you open the door. The dimmer bulb is a "running light" and is on whenever the parking or headlights are on. The former is activated by the door jam switches, the latter by the headlight circuit. I never really looked but I suppose that both are on if the parking or headlights are on and you open a door.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 7:39
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
I have looked at the Owners manual but it only shows the bulb sizes. Thanks Owen for your information. I was wondering what makes them light up besides when the door opens. I believe that both will be on when the door is open as one it has 2 contacts.
But I am still wondering which bulb is the upper one the single contact or the dual one.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 8:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The lower one has dual contacts - one contact is a hot wire. The other contact is a ground that makes contact when you open the door.
The top one is a single contact which grounds thru the base of the bulb to chassis. It only comes on when the parking or headlights are on. It is NOT controlled by the door.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 8:29
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved