Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 143

Jack Vines, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1940 Brake Pedal Spring
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Just putting back together the clutch, brake pedal assembly, just about all together, except cannot remember where one end of the spring attaches to. This is at the base of the brake pedal shaft. One side of the shaft has the pivot shaft for the master cylinder, and the other side has a nub a spring goes on. Cannot remember if the other side of the spring attaches somewhere toward the rear to the chassis, or up on the driver side firewall. There does seem to be a small hole in the firewall access plate.
Been sick the past couple weeks and just wiped me out.
I was the guy a few weeks ago with the noisy lifters. Got another oil canister that seems to be a bit more correct as the inlet is at the bottom of the canister instead of the side, will machine out all fittings and internal oil holes for a bit more flow. HH explained the later motors that have the extra flow to the oil pan. Which mine does not. So let me run this by all of you. If I run from the oil pump outlet (pressure) to the oil canister for some filtering, and using a tee, a direct line to the lifter galley with some sort of needle valve to restrict the direct flow enough to force some oil to flow through the oil canister. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for all of your time.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 19:18
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 Brake Pedal Spring
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The only spring I see leads from a small hole on the clutch fork, all the way forward to inside face of the frame, about six inches away from the back of the steering box.

If you'd like, I'll try to get a photo of where it attaches to the clutch fork, and another where it attaches to the frame.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.68 KB)
404_53ac5a8cd8765.jpg 1280X911 px

Posted on: 2014/6/26 12:30
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure which spring you are speaking of. If the clutch, please ignore this post. You mention brake pedal with rod mount on one side and a nub on other side. If it is the brake retracting spring, logically I think it would go backwards into the frame. On the 47 the spring attaches to the pedal at the point where the rod to master attaches and goes straight back thru a hole in crossmember to another point on frame. With the prewar layout I see in parts manual, that same arrangement would give maximum strength to keep the pedal up... It seems to me unless the nub is different than the rod position, if the spring went vertical to firewall it would be more of an arc and there would not be enough tension.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 13:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Yes must be the brake retracting spring. When I hold the spring towards the rear, I don't see any matching hole or surface, it would be marked or worn where it attached after twenty plus years of use. Will look again. Unfortunately as I am getting older now, I look at something and wonder how did that work? Then a couple days later, say to myself why didn't I see that before? I will try to take a picture with my cell phone camera if the flash will go inside of this area. Any ideas on the oil canister bypass and needle valve? A useless idea?

Posted on: 2014/6/26 20:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
About six inches toward the rear of your photo, look just above the base of the brake shaft. Thanks so much!!!!
Follow the master cyinder shaft to the brake shaft, just to the passenger side of the shaft you will see the nub, and hopefully one end of a spring going?

Posted on: 2014/6/26 20:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Any ideas on the oil canister bypass and needle valve? A useless idea?

To my mind, the same pressure will still be on both sides and it likely won't work. In a closed system like this would be, the only thing an orifice or in this case the valve, will do in operation is temporarily lower pressure on the other side of the valve and slow down the rate of flow but ultimately the pressure will equalize. If the side past the valve is open then the flow and pressure would be reduced.

In your proposal, coming off the sender port you will have around 45psi to the filter inlet and at the filter outlet or inlet to the valve gallery passage, you will have the same pressure via the pigtail coming off the same source as the filter inlet. Since there won't be an opportunity to temporarily lower pressure past the valve I can't see how there would be any flow thru the filter.

About all I can say is try it. If I am wrong and it works then great. If not, at least there isn't a lot of money or parts involved so not much more than time would be lost.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 21:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Here's the best I have from my "before" photos on my 41 110.

This first photo, look at the top right:
Click to see original Image in a new window

This second photo, it looks to mount to the frame(x member). I will check my car at the body shop Friday or Saturday.

This is more toward the rear of the car, in other words behind the trans brace area.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Hope it helps!
Rich

Posted on: 2014/6/26 23:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I see what you're talking about now. Almost impossible to get a photo of it from the top side, and I'll have to crawl under the car to see if it can be photographed from below... which I can't do right now.

What I can see from the top, though, is that the spring angles back and down toward the X member, not the side frame. So I suspect that it attaches to the X member.

Does that make any sense?

Posted on: 2014/6/27 10:43
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
What I'm showing does indeed attach to the X-member.

Rich

Posted on: 2014/6/27 13:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

RichK wrote:
What I'm showing does indeed attach to the X-member.

Rich

Sounds like the 47. IIRC, that had two small holes in the X member for the hook with the body of spring passing thru a large hole in the trans mount or crossmember to hook on brake pedal. Not sure how your geometry compares as far as pedal and trans mount location but would almost bet the layout is similar.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 13:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved