Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

One of a kind find
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I found this add tonight. I found the ad data quite interesting that this 55 was built in South Bend and was a competitor to Stude. Not trying to be Rude, but just had to shake me head. This car is located about 10 minutes from the house, I may give the guy a call and go see Just what is so special, it has my curiosity going.

ANTIQUE-RARE CAR!! ONE OF A KIND FIND !!!!!!

I HAVE A VERY RARE CAR IT IS A 1955 CUSTOM CLIPPER PACKARD FOUR DOOR SEDAN THEY ONLY MADE A LITTLE OVER 3600 OF THEM. THE CAR HAS BEEN ARIZONA KEPT ALL ITS LIFE THE FIRST MANUFACTURE WAS FROM SOUTH BEND IN. AND THERE ONLY COMPETITOR WAS STUDEBAKE. And I have some new parts to go with it and I have the owners manual to the car from 1955 down to the gas cap and the gas cap key all original registration...it needs to be restoredit wouldn't take much to get back together and on the road... if interested please give me a call thanks for looking

Posted on: 2014/7/11 22:12
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Re: One of a kind find
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
We'll be charitable and give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he has been told "history" that was embellished at each telling for the last 50+ years. If he is interested in knowing the cars Packard thought the Clipper competed against, you can mention a few names from the comparisons that were made.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1955_5_Specs_%20Compar_Acc.pdf

Posted on: 2014/7/11 22:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Ask if it has the ultra rare "Chipper" hubcaps.
Only one set known to exist so far.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 0:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The car may even have "air shocks" for a smoother ride.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 6:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Just curious, is there a picture of these rare Chipper caps anywhere?

Posted on: 2014/7/12 20:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"is there a picture of these rare Chipper caps anywhere?"

See this thread, pic from eBay listing.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.87 KB)
226_53c219df70f22.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2014/7/13 0:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I contacted the seller yesterday and he was real anxious for me to come see the car in person and "experience the old car effect". I chuckled...

So, as I put on my 55 Clipper shirt this morning, chuckled, I think I am gonna have fun as I explain that his car was not build in South bend, and in 55 there were 14,995 production cars built. It should be fun for a Sunday.

Attach file:

jpg  (128.94 KB)
17226_53c28ca32b5c6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/7/13 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Wow, this car was parked in a one stall dungeon where you had to carry a trouble light to see what was going on. exterior paint solid surface rust, no rust though, Cracked windshield, rusted roof at what would be the headliner, general "crud" everywhere. All Chrome, Emblems, ornaments, bumpers excellent. 5562-74xx (I cant remember. He was a bit crushed when I explained that his car was over the 7,000th production model and that it was a Detroit car.

The car was of course in the add for $2000 but his price quickly changed to $2500 as it is in his mind, still a rare collector classic, and it is in Excellent condition. Restored he was sure it would command $80,000. I burst his bubble and told him a decent restore would get him about 8k on average and he would have more than that in the restore.

All in all, it would be a good restorable car but with, the windshield,and body I would not give more than $500, and if I did give $500 I would have another huge project. Altough I could use the front bumper and power antenna.

Sorry no pics, the Dungeon was too dark.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
If there is only one set existing, make that two sets.

Attach file:

jpg  (119.68 KB)
4013_53c3027e98ef9.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/7/13 17:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My Chipper is all black with a black and gray interior. The Chipper emblems throughout the car have a black background. This all goes very well with the overall color scheme. To enhance the scheme even more I painted the center of the wheel covers black so all the emblems would match. Not authentic, but I think more attractive.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (90.66 KB)
565_53c3471d6f2d9.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/7/13 21:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved