Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 118

29tons, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Stand for L8 & trans?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Since Cad is winding down, P work is winding up. I'll be pulling the motor/trans in a couple. Has anyone made a stand to hold the entire motor and trans in tact for storage?
If yes, can you shoot a pix, diagram, or dimensions?
Once it's out and dangling is a bit late for fabrication.
By the looks of it, if the trans mounting brackets come out with it, but not sure on that, it's a simple four point support. I don't recall any drawings. The motor is shown stand alone in cut away. Or point me to info.
I'm still deciding and there's not enuff value to sell and not enuff power to rebuild, so long term storage is in theme with the work, to make it all reversible, if someday the next guy wants to restore to orig.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 20:45
 Top  Print 

Re: Stand for L8 & trans?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Sorry I can't help, but I did see some Youtube videos of engines running on stands, maybe that might help.
Wes

Posted on: 2014/8/14 21:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I made a stand for my spare 50 288 and transmission out of two 6x6's fastened together with two 2x4's. The 6x6's run parallel with the engine, and are spaced just far enough apart to allow the edge of the oil pan to sit on top of them. The 2x4's are placed on the ends to hold the 6x6's together. The whole contraption sits on top of a movers dolly so that the engine can be rolled under the workbench to get it out of the way, or pulled out to swipe parts off of it. It isn't a stand to allow you to work on it, but is sure a good way to store it. No danger of it falling off. I'll shoot a photo of it in the morning if you like.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 21:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Here is a thread from a while back. I made a roll around table out of scrap wood and put the stand on top of it while I was rebuilding the 288. Later the stand was made into a lower, rolling stand that fit under the work bench by bolting the 6x6 portion onto the mover's dolly. Just be sure to balance the load! You can buy longer dolly's that would probably work better with the automatic - it is a lot heavier than the 3 speed and OD.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8941&forum=4&post_id=95758#forumpost95758

Posted on: 2014/8/14 21:54
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
I took the link and the attachment at the oil pan lip reminded me of a local project I saw once. Worried about how safe your wooden engine stand might be?

Resized Image

Bernie

Posted on: 2014/8/15 9:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Engine stand! We don't need NO stinking engine stand!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7EE9Dug9-M

Or was that badges?
Wes

Posted on: 2014/8/16 0:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Sorry about that last one here's a better video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWxcQHPsdN4
Wes

Posted on: 2014/8/16 0:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
That last one is really nice - I used to watch Dad balance a silver dollar on edge on his 48 Packard engine while it was running. Mueller must be a good machine shop. I did notice that their stand is very similar to my scrap wood version.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 9:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'm glad I ask, because this ol ironheaded arking sparking brain - didn't even think of wood. I have some spare heavy casters I bought for one of my steel work benches but they were too high. I'm guessing one 6 by 4 from the old hammock stand would do and I think there's some left in the wood pile if I didn't use it all. I can make a rolling steel frame for the casters and anchor the wood on it once I figure out the COG. I thought about cutting a scrap P frame or cutting this one and put on caster but it's a waste. Front suspensions probably going to go anyway. A new custom frame is nice but pricey and I wouldn't need a stand but more storage room. I don't feel qualified to make one and drive it 150 mph with me in it. I'll just have to make sure the stand isn't worth more then this motor!
ps; I don't check in enuff, I missed a free '55 P V8 in the for sale listing.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 13:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I was over thinking a stand too. I was going to try to cut up my frame to make a storage stand for my trans and engine. A wood frame on moving dollies seems much easier!

Posted on: 2014/8/16 17:24
[url=h
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved