Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1946 Clipper Dash Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
I'm looking for some tips on removing my 46 clipper dash. It needs to be wood grained and must also be removed to do some wiring. The wiring harness has been ordered and the wood graining samples in the mail. Your thoughts and recommendations. Thanks

Posted on: 2014/8/12 7:21
 Top  Print 

Re: 1946 Clipper Dash Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The dash proper is held by screws across the top at the lower windshield edge and a bolt on the bottom side edges into the door pillars. To access those the windshield finish molding and kick panels remove. To remove the windshield molding, IIRC the mirror and center molding also has to come off. There are many other things under dash that need to be removed or accounted for.

The hood releases, vent handle & steering column clamp and support rod all bolt to the bottom edge of dash & have to separate. Windshield wiper switch on the top and any switches or controls attached on the dash bottom have to be removed or disconnected. Ign switch needs to disconnect to come out of dash or else armored cable at coil disconnected. Radio is supported by rods which hook onto a mount on windshield flange so those come off and then radio would be removed to get rid of weight and bulk.

Depending on how you handle the instrument cluster, there is a speedo cable and the temp gauge has to be removed from cluster or sensor bulb disconnected at the engine and pulled back.

Once you are sure things are disconnected and wiring etc pulled thru, the screws holding the dash can be removed and dash will be free. It is bulky and hard to maneuver around steering column. The windlace on the door jambs is delicate so a helper is handy to help. You might want to consider removing the steering wheel for the extra room but not absolutely necessary.

Not sure if it would be of help but my dash is currently out and I can post photos of anything you might want info on.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 9:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 1946 Clipper Dash Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Howard, Thanks for the step by step info it is appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 13:10
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved