Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 44

chevyboy, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Headlamp question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I hope this is not in the wrong section, I am infamous for doing that!! Anyway, I have a quick question... I have a burned out headlamp in my 1950 Packard Super DeLuxe. Does anyone have a part number from an auto parts chain for that 6 volt lamp?? I really enjoy driving my car at night and this has put that to a stop. I inquired at NAPA and the man wanted the bulb pulled out and brought back to measure it??? I had the feeling he was clueless AND the car was 45 miles away at the time!! Any help would be most appreciated!!

Posted on: 2014/9/18 21:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Headlamp question
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
There are basically two sizes of sealed beam headlights - this dates back to about 1957 when all US cars previously had two headlights, while as many in 1958 had four headlights. All the clerk really needs to know is that your car is a six volt, and it has two headlights. Usually NAPA stores are better, as they tend to service older trucks and tractors in addition to cars, and they understand (usually) the older vehicles. Avoid any kid behind the counter, especially when they ask who made Packard! Or just ask for a headlight for a 51 Ford Mainliner. All of the cars of that era in the US used the same headlight. The one you want has a three prong plug in the back, as it has high and low beams.

Good luck - look for a salesperson with gray hair!

Posted on: 2014/9/18 21:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Paul, They are the standard sealed beam, 7-inch round, 6-volt bulbs. You can get them in the traditional or halogen versions. Try the usual vendor suspects. I believe Bill Hersch has the halogen type. I think there is a H4 type available too. I have a set of NOS Trippe Fog Beams (in the box) I'll sell you for $150.50 for the pair. They look so cool!

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/9/18 22:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As David said, a bulb should be available at almost any parts store. Here is the current Napa offering but the general number is a 6006.

If you have the old original style bulbs still in the car you may want to consider a pair of new. The old bulbs have a mostly simple vertical prism pattern on the glass with a smooth surface. The new will have a much "busier" pattern and 3 locating nibs for modern alignment tools. The difference is quite noticeable when on the same car.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.02 KB)
209_541ba05f7ebad.jpg 688X308 px

Posted on: 2014/9/18 22:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Awakened the Packard this weekend, what better time for that than Easter??!!! Anyway, it coincides with a new... are you ready... NAPA store here in my hometown!!!! Going tomorrow to get or order the new headlamps. I LOVE driving the old gal at night. :)

Posted on: 2015/4/6 20:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved