Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
43 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 41

CarFreak, curpack, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

23rd Heater Core Removal.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Could someone please point me in the right direction to find instructions to remove my heater core from my 49, 23rd series. I have not yet been able to find it in the service manual. I have tried to remove the two bolts under the housing that look like they hold the fan motor on, but they are stiff, and I'm afraid of breaking them, and can't get some penetrating oil on them. Can I remove it as unit ( core housing and fan motor)? Do I need to remove the housing in the car and that will reveal that there is a couple of studs through the firewall? thank you in advance.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 14:54
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: 23rd Heater Core Removal.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are a few photos of the heater on Jeffs 48 blog which might give a clue or two. Looking at the few photos he posted after the headlight switch and a few more on the following page I suspect the heater is constructed and held in a similar fashion to the 51-4 heaters -- studs thru the firewall -- with maybe a screw or two thru a bracket into the firewall on the engine side.

You might check out the accessories section of 51-4 SMhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5154/Accessories_III.pdf. The heater location is different than yours but I suspect the mounting will be very similar. If like the later units your entire assy will have to come off the firewall to access a couple of sheet metal screws they placed in an inaccessible spot on the box before you can remove the core.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 15:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 23rd Heater Core Removal.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks Howard. I suspected that it would have to come off as a unit, when I found the two screws in the bottom of the housing, made inaccessible by the fan motor. I will check out the links that you posted. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 15:46
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved