Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Seeps from Fuel Pump on '51 288
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I have noticed a trace of oil is seeping from the fuel pump on my '51 288 motor. Just a few drops after driving for an hour, and I am wondering why it should happen on a pump that I have fitted a complete kit into.

The oil only comes through the gauze (- which is some sort of air filter) where there is a small breather hole (or weep hole) in the rectangular recess in the side of the pump. It's not causing me a problem because there's only a small amount, but I doubt that there should be any coming out at all. A wipe with a cloth and it's quickly removed from the area below (- on the top of the cross-member).

Hoping someone can tell me what is causing this to happen.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 1:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil Seeps from Fuel Pump on '51 288
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's normal for the horsehair breather to get damp with oil, but a regular drip is not normal. Assuming the pump was properly rebuilt, these are first things I'd check:

1. Crankcase overfilled?
2. Oil filler cap been cleaned recently?
3. Road draft tube pinched or restricted?
4. Baffle to draft tube on inside of valve cover plugged with sludge?

Posted on: 2015/2/20 9:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If not any of the causes O_D posted, then most likely crankcase blowby. Watch the filler breather and road draft tube for crankcase vapors escaping when the engine is running or shortly after being shut off.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/2/20 12:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks O_D and JW for the replies. Interesting that it is probably crankcase pressure, I should have figured that out.

Because I've re-built the engine totally I'm confident that points 2,3 and 4 are not the problem. Oil filler cap is clean, road draft tube aok (- everything was carefully cleaned before assembly). Regarding point #1, I selected one dipstick from several I had so maybe crankcase is over-full if I chose an incorrect one. Will check that possibility.

I do see slight fuming from the oil filler after a drive.The engine rebuild involved new pistons and rings (- the bores measured up ok and were not smooth). So after only 300 miles it could be the rings haven't seated yet, hence some blow-by?

Guess I'll drive some more and see if the problem goes away.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 17:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A couple of wisps or curls of vapor from the breather cap after a drive is not abnormal.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 18:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
Give it a little time to break in.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 19:28
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Yes - will give it some time. Thanks for your suggestions.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 3:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved