Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 76

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Craig's Panther Project -- Chassis
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
As you may recall from some of my previous recent posts, I have several sub-projects ongoing on the Panther Project. Another one is the chassis. Some time back, we lifted the body off the chassis and I've been using the chassis and a dirtball engine as a jig for the headers. I decided to remove the dirtball engine and roll the chassis outside to clean and paint it. The first few posts in this thread documents that effort. Later posts in this thread will document modifications and other efforts on the chassis.

A pic of my helper Jim starting to pressure wash the grime off the chassis:

Resized Image

Because of kick-back of dirt and gravel under the chassis, we decided to tilt the chassis up and cover the ground with a tarp. This also allowed us to get easy access to the bottom.

Resized Image

After cleaning, wire-brushing, primering, sanding and painting with chassis black (high solid formula), here's the chassis ready to be lowered back down level:

Resized Image

Here's the chassis back in the garage: It's looking good, even though very few people will see it:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/4/5 10:41
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Follow-on chassis sub-projects
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Cleaning...painting the chassis is pretty mundane, but it was only the first stage of a series of sub-projects on it. Following will be:

1) removal of the torsion bars and torque arms. The torsion bars need to be cleaned better and painted. The torque arm pivots need to be disassembled, cleaned and re-lubed.

2) The new fuel system will be plumbed. This will include a sumped fuel tank, an electric pusher pump at the back into 3/8IN feed line up to the front, a fuel pressure regulator next to the new high performance mechanical fuel pump and a 1/2IN return line back to the tank. This may seem like overkill, but it is not given the higher horsepower of the engine and the 115F temperature it may have to operate in during the Summer in Pahrump/Las Vegas.

3) New brake lines will be plumbed. Panther has 4-wheel disc brakes, so new flex brake lines were needed in any case. I will replace all the steel brake lines too.

More to come...

Craig

Posted on: 2015/4/5 10:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Follow-on chassis sub-projects
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I'm happy the Panther is moving forward for you. Looking towards seeing it in person when I drop by again.

Posted on: 2015/4/5 18:27
 Top  Print   

Continuing with chassis sub-projects: left T-L bars removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Continuing with the chassis sub-projects: removing the left side torsion bars.

The first thing to do was free the loads on the left front and rear torque arms. To free the left front, we removed the left upper and lower control arms. This also allowed us to remove the torque arm to lower control arm adjustable strut.

Unloading the upper control arm:
Resized Image

Disconnecting the upper control arm inner pivot bar from the frame:
Resized Image

Front suspension lower control arm disconnected, arms now free and torque arm is unloaded:
Resized Image

Following a similar procedure on the rear torque arm:
Resized Image

Both torque arms are load-free.

Posted on: 2015/4/11 15:09
 Top  Print   

Left T-L bars removal continued
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Supposedly, one can now use a drift and sledge hammer on the end of the left front torsion bar where it is accessible through the broach hole in the front of the front torque arm. This is supposed to drive the rear hex end out of the rear of the broach hole in the rear torque arm and through a hole in the outrigger bracket. My friend Paul in Las Vegas has done this many times.

NO JOY! The rear of the main bar refused to move no matter how much we pounded on the front or the rear or used PB Blaster on it! What to do? When in doubt, RTFM.

From the 1955-56 Packard Service Manual, Suspension and Steering section, page 13, figures 36 and 37:

Resized Image
Resized Image

IMO, there is NO WAY that puny J-6046 tool and hammer is going to knock the rear hex end of the left bar loose! So, I had my local machine shop make up a very much more robust version and I will use a large sledge hammer on it. The custom tool:
Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/4/11 15:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Left T-L bars removal continued 2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's my custom J-6046 (split-block clamp tool) in action:
Resized Image

I also heated the cast steel outside of the rear torque arm with my O-A torch for about 1 minute. After a few good wacks, the left main bar is now free from the hex broach!
Resized Image

You can see that the rear hex end is pretty rusty looking which explains why it was stuck so firmly.

A similar procedure to force the front hex through the rear hex broach hole except this time the tool is attached to the front of the main bar but on the rear side of the outrigger bracket:
Resized Image

Left main bar and rear torque arm removed:
Resized Image

Comments and/or questions welcome.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/4/11 15:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved