Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 160

CartRich, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Possible Ignition Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I went for a drive last night in my 41 and the car was running nicely, when I returned home I turned off the car to open my garage door. When I attempted to start it, it would not start, plenty of battery but the engine turned over normally but no fire at all. I have spark at the points and gas to the carburetor. I had a friend hold a plug wire close to a spark plug and no spark. The coil is emitting a faint orange spark. My guess is that I might have an issue with the condenser or the coil but not sure. Any suggestions ???

Posted on: 2015/4/2 12:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Possible Ignition Problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Condensor. Just saw this problem on a 47 last week...

Posted on: 2015/4/2 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Does anyone have a part number for a condenser from NAPA. Their books list everything for the distributor but a condenser. I need to find one locally because I need to move the car this weekend. Thank you

Posted on: 2015/4/2 13:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just ask for a "universal" condenser, other than having a long-enough pigtail, they are all pretty much the same. For most any 6-volt car, whether positive or negative ground, whether 4 or 12 cylinders or anything in between, I use NAPA/Echlin AL-869 with complete satisfaction.

Your symptoms could also be a failing ignition coil so keep that in mind, though just statistically the condenser is the more likely culprit.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 14:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you very much for the part number, I'll start there and move to the coil next,not familiar with the cable that goes from the coil into the firewall and I have not looked yet to see where it disconnects, do you think the coil would be available from NAPA ? Many Thanks !!!!!!

Posted on: 2015/4/2 14:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The original coil was typical of 1947 and back wherein the "hot" wire was encased in a armored shield from the ignition switch to the coil to make it difficult to hot-wire a car. You'll not get a coil like that from NAPA though you could get a universal 6-volt coil that would function perfectly but of course you'd loose the original feature and it's appearance.

Others have been down that path before and I'm sure you'll get no shortage of ideas on replacing the coil but keeping some semblance of the original appearance. Most any coil even approaching the half-century mark in age is certainly suspect, if not now then soon to come.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
The coils with the hot wire connecting in rear of the coil are difficult to find and very expensive and nos-which I donot trust. I found a mounting bracket on ebay that allowed a generic coil to mount to firewall-ran a small black wire to the rear of the coil to connect to the armored cable.

Another possibility is vapor lock? Had a similar experience after cooling down was able to start it-almost ran the battery down however.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 15:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Condensor. Just saw this problem on a 47 last week..."

Yes, here at the Aussie National Packard Rally, pic attached.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.19 KB)
226_551da397627d4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/4/2 15:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Max and Kanter have the coils but they are quite expensive. I have a similar type with armored cable on my Clipper and didn't want to have to buy a $250 coil when Napa has universals for approx $25.

I wanted something to properly hold the armored cable rather than having to run a wire thru the firewall. To keep the original look -- more or less -- on mine, I made a holder to mimic the Clipper firewall mounted coil. Not sure how your coil mounts but believe it is on the engine. Depending on just how it mounts and which type armored cable it has, something similar should be possible.

Attach file:

jpg  (122.00 KB)
209_551da3b68f0f5.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (61.25 KB)
209_551da3be297df.jpg 1280X926 px

Posted on: 2015/4/2 15:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I don't think it was vapor lock and the only reason I say that is it sat overnight and it would not start in the A.M. Thanks for the advice about the bracket.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 15:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved