Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front engine mount removal question.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
Hi. I need to replace the front motor mount rubber on my '49 as well as get access to the bottom two bolts on the water pump. i don't see any real explainations in the manual as to removal of the mount, so I was wondering if anyone has any input on the best way to go about it. Any input is appreciated, Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/6/9 20:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Front engine mount removal question.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the easiest way is to use a block of wood and a floor jack to lift the engine slightly. Position under the oil pan as near to the front as the crossmember will allow. If the pan is curved in the chosen spot more than you are comfortable with then use a stout board to span the distance of the oil pan width and place a couple of blocks of wood at either end of the board to catch the lip of pan on either side.

You didn't say which engine you have but they are about the same with one exception. The 356 should have a couple of extra stabilizer pieces bolted to the crossmember on each side at the front corners in addition to the main mount in front. Those stabilizers have to be unbolted first so the engine can lift when taking the weight off the front mount. Once you pick up the weight a small amount the two bolts holding the pieces of mount together can be removed. The bolts on each side of mount attaching to crossmemeber can then be removed and the parts separated to change the two pieces of rubber.

If you can't access the pump bolts then the rubber in the mount has flattened and the same process with the jack and blocking can pick up the engine a slight amount to uncover the bolts.

Posted on: 2015/6/9 20:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
Thank you! That's what I needed to know. The engine is the 327 by the way.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 19:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
Okay, I removed the front engine mount today, very easy! The rubber mounts are shot, so I ordered a new pair From Kanter. I used some blocks of wood to rest the engine on until I'm ready to put the mount back on. I also ordered a quart of Packard Gray engine paint so I can repaint the engine in what I understand is the correct color, the rebuilder used Green. Now, I have a couple of new questions, first what is the correct color to paint the engine mount? Is it the same color as the engine or is it painted black like the chassis? Also, what is the proper bolt to use to fasten the mount to the chassis? The previous owners used new bolts , but I don't know if they are the correct type. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Posted on: 2015/6/12 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The mount should be engine color.

Bolts should be 1/2-20 by 1-1/4" long with a hex nut and lockwasher.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 20:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agreed, this cropped factory photo clearly shows the front mount painted engine color.

Attach file:

jpg  (110.67 KB)
177_557c1bdd2ba99.jpg 1280X1035 px

Posted on: 2015/6/13 7:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved