Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic fluid leak
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Hi all. As part of the restoration on my 56 400, I had the transmission rebuilt locally here in Melbourne Australia by a rebuilder who has built a number of Ultramatics for various Packard owners here. From the very first time I started the engine, the transmission has leaked from around the converter area... I finally bought a two post lift recently so thought it time to remove the transmission to find out why it was leaking as the car is almost finished. What I found is that fluid is leaking from around one of the bolts holding the front bell housing to the transmission case as per the photo below. I am thinking that this is a simple matter of removing the bolt and applying some thread locker or sealer and problem is solved, but would like to see if anyone else has encountered a similar issue... Thanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.76 KB)
940_55b368c86e5bf.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.27 KB)
940_55b36a7019e20.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/7/25 5:47
 Top  Print 

Re: Ultramatic fluid leak
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Can you post a pic of the entire bell housing? I would like to see the entire bolt pattern to get a better idea.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 7:12
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That particular location is pointed out in the shop manual for receiving a special self locking bolt and no star washer for that very reason. The self locking bolt has probably been installed elsewhere in the bellhousing pattern and can be identified by the cross scored head.

If you don't have the correct bolt, put the present one back without the star washer and with a good sealant.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 7:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Aside from the special bolt the torque specs for the aluminum case transmission were not updated. They were using the same torque for the aluminum as for the iron.

This makes them highly susceptible to stripping.

So I always used a 10lbft lower torque with blue Loctite and gasket sealer on the bell housing.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 7:35
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Hi Troy. Find below photos as requested... Warren.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.85 KB)
940_55b38503d9cea.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.85 KB)
940_55b3851ebba4e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/7/25 7:46
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Hi Ross. You are absolutely correct... The bolt is there but in the wrong location... Thanks for the assistance... Much appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 8:05
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Thanks Tim. I wasn't aware of the torque difference for the aluminium case... Good advice. Thanks to all for the good advice... Very much appreciated.
By the way, when removing the pushbutton actuator from the side of the transmission, I didn't have a small scissor type jack as posts elsewhere on this forum have advised to use to push the trans across to enable removal, so I improvised and used a turnbuckle to pull it across instead. It worked really well and was quick and easy to install... May be of assistance to others as an alternative to the jack method.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.84 KB)
940_55b38bf2f37f7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.60 KB)
940_55b38c06bcd4e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/7/25 8:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Great, that is exactly where I was going. I did not see the locking bolt but wanted to see the entire bolts to verify. Ross hit it on the head, Very important to follow the Manual step by step.

Switch these two bolts.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.34 KB)
17226_55b3a1a68efde.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/7/25 9:44
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Thanks Troy - thanks all.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 17:46
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved