Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 177

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

"Painting" chrome
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I reported this before, but there's a new product out there for painting on a plated chrome finish. It uses water after the "paint" is applied. I hadn't seen it yet, but was watching "mobsteel" and they were working on a '53 Pack and they showed and described "painting" the bumpers and they looked excellent. Certainly an acceptable alternative to the price and time of plating, if you're in the driver category or low budget restoration. I need to research this more.

Posted on: 2015/9/1 11:47
 Top  Print 

Re: "Painting" chrome
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I seen what sounds something like this on Jay Leno's garage. What it is, more or less is the same thing they use to silver mirrors. They were spraying it on plastic emblems ect..... I even seen on one video where they were doing this to a whole car.... It looks great, but I wonder about the durability....

John

Posted on: 2015/9/1 15:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I was watching mobsteel, and it sure looks very labor intensive and a high level of stress and anxiety to get it presentable.

Posted on: 2015/9/1 17:04
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
At one time I wanted to open a company to do just that. Provide a feasible alternative to plating more in tune with the budgets of the hot rod crowd and lower value cars. I also felt that once a successful book of business is underway there is a high likelihood of the phone ringing with a contract for a million chrome painted wheels or bumpers from one of the big car makers.

As well a lot of the die cast parts are in such bad shape that subjecting them to plating attempts is a waste of money. A case in point is the Packard power brake selector. There isn't a plater anywhere who knows what it should look like. They just grind the living shxt out of them and ruin them.

But if you want to be serious about a successful business you have to be the kind of schmuck that people want to throw money at. So I never bothered see if a marketable process was possible. I've just seen too much authority and money being placed into the hands of total jerks. In a corporation if you aren't a big liability you aren't going any place.

Posted on: 2015/9/1 17:53
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved