Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Vacuum System Schmatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
On my dad's car there is a vacuum pump on the carb and it has a steel tube that goes to the windshield wiper motor (as expected) however there is a Tee fitting at the windshield wiper motor that has an open port. Where does this port supposed to go to?

Probably need to cap it off?!?!?

Posted on: 2015/9/7 16:33
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: Vacuum System Schmatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Look on the cowl front side, left end just before the cowl curves around to the fender and body -- almost under the patent plate -- for a large rubber grommet with 4 holes and maybe some hoses.

If you have the grommet or its remains, the tee in the wiper vacuum supply hose was most likely for the supply to a vacuum antenna. If no antenna, on some 22nd series cars they used an early version windshield washer that had a separate actuating button instead of the later version where it was controlled by the wiper motor switch cable and vacuum came from a port on the motor. If the car had that early version washer it would have had a vacuum supply from the tee.

If the car had neither option then you might ask your dad if he remembers if it had anything else. There was not that many 22-23rd factory options that needed vacuum -- but the car could have had some popular aftermarket additions that needed vacuum. There were small vacuum operated fans to cool the driver and I remember an ashtray that connected to vacuum so the smoke was pulled out of the passenger compt.

At any rate, if nothing is connected the tee needs to be plugged or eliminated. That is providing a huge vacuum leak and if the car is driven that way the lean fuel might be part of the cause of the high temp.

Posted on: 2015/9/7 17:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Please explain the "vacuum pump on the carburetor"; I'd have thought you meant a vacuum pump on the fuel pump.

Posted on: 2015/9/7 17:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Owen... yes too much small hand held computer (phone) typing with other distractions... yes fule/vacuum pump.

Yes Howard good call. . It had the 4 hole grommet and I asked my dad and it had a vacuum antenna and it did a decade ago and he replaced it with a regular one when it quit. I ignorantly though the port of the Tee fitting was a place for a filter to filter the air that the vacuum wiper motor was sacking.

THANKS AGAIN

Posted on: 2015/9/7 19:25
Bill,

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Oh and btw that port has been uncovered for over a decade. I wonder why the engine had three burned valves?

Posted on: 2015/9/7 19:57
Bill,

Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Kirt_Liedahl
See User information
Well if it's been replaced, this would be a uniquely awesome time to sell a guy the vacuum control from under the dash... Ha! (I'm laughing, but...)

My antenna is still serviceable but the control has been harvested prior to me buying the car. I was just about to post an "In Search Of..." post!

Posted on: 2015/12/8 0:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Check ebay they come up on a regular basis-as well as the antennas

Posted on: 2015/12/8 11:20
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved