Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

r1lark, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hate loosing hubcaps
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
So what's the secret? I am having a time keeping the hubcaps on the rear end of my '49, 23 series. Have take a hammer and long bunch to bend the tabs back further on the wheel, the caps go on great. Here's what happened while taking her to the local Saturday car show at the Doughnut shop.

On a stretch of rough road and driving real slow, it bounced off, hit the fender well and got partial run over.

Attach file:

jpg  (129.85 KB)
67700_55f71b1d20d35.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/9/14 14:10
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Re: Hate loosing hubcaps
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I don't know if this is any help since it's from the 1947 Service Counselor, but Vol 21 no. 10 Has an article about different size hub caps form 2111 and 2103.
Hope this helps.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/9/14 14:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Radial tires? Wheel balance? These are two other occasional causes.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 14:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
There are 2 different hubcaps used for the 1948-50 models, depending on the wheel rim width.

The hubcaps for the 6" wide rims used for Super and Custom 8 models have an inner ring that is at the same level as the outer edge when a straightedge is placed across the back side. These hubcaps will fit on the narrower rim but there will be a gap between the outer edge and the wheel.

Hubcaps for the 5-1/2" wide rim used for Standard and Deluxe 8 models have an inner ring that is between 3/8" and 1/2" lower than the outer edge when a straightedge is placed across the back side. These hubcaps will go on the wider rim but the clips will not fully grip the inner ring with the result that the hubcap will come off easily.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 17:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Thanks for the information! I had no idea that there were different sizes of hubcaps. A little more investigation is needed on my part.

The tires are biased ply and appear to be properly balanced. I'll take it in to a tire shop I trust and have them checked.

Thanks again for your help!

B.

Posted on: 2015/9/15 10:20
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
So for clarification, if you put a Custom 8 hubcap on a 5 1/2 inch rim the hubcap will stay on, but if you put a standard hubcap on a 6" rim it could fall off. Am I reading this right?

Posted on: 2015/9/16 20:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

1508 wrote:
So for clarification, if you put a Custom 8 hubcap on a 5 1/2 inch rim the hubcap will stay on, but if you put a standard hubcap on a 6" rim it could fall off. Am I reading this right?

That is correct.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 1:02
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric Hansford
See User information
Deskdriver,

I have had the same issue with my 23rd Series Super Deluxe 8. The issue that I had was occurring with both Bias 4 ply and Radial White wall tires. The issue that I found was the the trim rings that were on my car were not originals - they were too wide and matched the same diameter of the rim bead. What would occur was the when the tire would flex when hitting a bump, it would flex and hit the trim ring and pop it. Since ordering the correct trim rings from Max Merritt (WTR15-SS), I have had no further issues with the trim rings.

As for the hubcaps, I found that the clips on the rims would not hold the caps tight enough and could not be bent properly on the rim. To alleviate this issue, I drilled out the factory rivets and then bent the clips. Instead of "re-riveting" the clips, I (and against what many traditionalist Packard owners will yell at me over) bolted the clips back on the rim. This allowed for a tighter hold on the hub cap with the clips.

I have also realized that not all hub caps will fit all rims. Out of my four hub caps, only certain ones will fit certain rims. You may want to rotate your hub caps around your rims and see which ones fit the tightest on each rim. This has worked for me.

Good luck.

- Eric

Posted on: 2015/9/22 19:43
1949 Super Deluxe Eight
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I should have mentioned this before, but there is also an article in Service Counselor Vol. 22 No. 2 that shows a recommended method for re-shaping the retaining clips.

Vol 22 No 2

Posted on: 2015/9/22 20:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
What a wealth of info you guys are! I will check all these things. The cap that is in the picture is the wrong size.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Barry

Posted on: 2015/9/24 20:09
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved