Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 Volt Headlight Options???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Are there any 6 volt headlight options out there that increase the brightness of the head lights? Halogen or LED?

Just curious if anyone has researched these options.

THANKS!!!

Posted on: 2015/11/1 19:38
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 Volt Headlight Options???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There have been a few reports that the halogens are brighter. There are others who have said that adding relays to power the bulbs more directly from the battery without having to go thru the headlight switch and dimmer switch plus the distance of all that wiring also results in the original bulbs being brighter. IMO, halogens and the relays would get things about as bright as possible with a 6v system.

Posted on: 2015/11/1 19:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
The halogens, p/n H6006 for the sealed beams, make things as bright as a 12v car. Keep in mind that the actual distance covered by your low beams is more a function of the beam spread mandated by the DOT than it is foot-candles.

However, I couldn't get the halogen bulbs to aim properly-- the low-beams lit up the road like high beams no matter how low I aimed them, and the high beams were like aircraft landing lights. I went back to standard sealed beams, which are plenty bright. Aim is one of the biggest components, mis-aiming by half a degree can put the beam off by five feet at a distance of 600 feet ahead of your car.

For cars that don't take sealed beams, there are halogen options available as well. Bill Hirsch can help you out with bulbs if you have trouble finding something that would fit, but obviously it'll be cheaper if you find bulbs yourself. In that case, I would also make sure your headlamp reflectors are newly re-silvered if necessary. Chrome is a poor substitute for the original silver.

Installing a relay and taking power right from the generator can make things even brighter at idle, and it takes the load off the headlight switch itself.but you shouldn't need to do that if everything else is up to snuff.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 0:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you have separate reflectors and can find someone to do it, rhodium plating gives nearly identical color reflectivity of light as silver and has the advantage of being non-tarnishing. Rhodium is a reasonably uncommon semi-precious metal of the platinum family and is most commonly used for high-end jewelry.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 10:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Any problems with 6v sealed beams and bulbs is usualy due to poor electrical connections. Poor grounding at the lite and back thru the body ground straps.

Also keep in mind that most modern day 6v electrical components are MODERN REPRODUCTION parts that may not meet OEM specs.

There are very few mechanics that know how to clean electrical connexions. Just because they are clean to the touch or show no significant or conspicuous corrosion does not mean that the connexions are good.

SPECIFICALLY: Electrical connectors MUST BE SCRAPED with a knife blade OR FILED to a BRIGHT SHINY VIRGIN METAL appearence!!

Use serrated tooth (shake proof) washers under any type of connector that is intalled with a screw.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 10:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
For brighter tail lites try running a 6v HEADLITE bulb.
Now wait a minute: There mite not be room under the tail lite lens for a headlite bulb OR the lens if plastic mite melt or distort.

I have one non-Packard application here that i haad to change from an OEM lens to a doner lens from another vehicle to accomodate the extra size of the 6v headlite bulb in the tail lite. But it is MUCH brrighter.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 10:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved