Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

New Packard owner questions....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
What kind of fuel is good to use in the 55 Patrician. Is their an additive that needs to be used, or is this question rediculous. What kind of engine oil is good?

Thanks in Advance!!

Morgan

Posted on: 2008/10/27 14:08
 Top  Print   

Re: New Packard owner questions....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your 55 Patrician should run nicely on premium fuel, and maybe even mid-range. No fuel additive should be needed unless you intend to drive regularly at high speeds in which case you might consider adding some tetraethyl lead to the gasoline for valve lubrication.

Everyone has their favorites on motor oil but unless you live in a very warm or very cold climate I'd recommend SAE15W-40 such as Shell Rotella T or Mobil's Delvac, though there are many other good brands as well. If your engine is reasonably tight and in good condition SAE10W-30 should also be OK though I'd steer clear of 10W-40. You could also use the straight viscosity oil of the range recommended for the temperatures in your area according to the 55 Packard owner's manual, though if I did this I'd select a detergent grade.

But if the car is new to you and you don't have any prior history of it being done, I'd first have the oil pan dropped and cleaned, along with the oil pump intake screen.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Thank's for the info...

Posted on: 2008/10/27 17:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
you might consider adding some tetraethyl lead to the gasoline

AFAIK, tetraethyl lead is not available for retail sale. It is extremely poisonous and it is illegal to use. The over-the-counter supposed octane enhancers have no lead in them. They contain MBTE and other chemicals which do very little good for the cost.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
i too recommend dropping the pan. my car ran great for around 100 miles before the sludge came free and started plugging the hydraulic lifters. its a pain, but its worth it in the long run.

i use a high grade 10w-30 with no problems so far, but AVOID high detergent oils ESPECIALLY if do not drop the pan.

a quart of marvel mystery oil might help keep the lifters moving free, and remember to change the oil frequently at first if the car has been sitting.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:48
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jack, yes Tetraethyl lead (a cut in gasoline) is commercially available. What's illegal is to dispense leaded gasoline into a motor vehicle, but the TEL is legal trade. Most of it goes to the off-shore speedboat crowd but you can buy it in quarts from Jack Podell, see his constant advertisements in Hemmings Motor News. I've used it sparingly in my 56 Caribbean for quite a few years when I anticipate long, hard drives where I tend to get a bit too much preignition and am reluctant to retard the timing.

As a retired chemist, let me add emphasis to your caution, it is TOXIC. If you must use it, wear impermeable gloves, keep your mouth and nose shut, and wash up thoroughly after dispensing.

I have no experience with the non-tetraethyl lead type of octane boosters but would consider them to be in the "snake oil" category, no real benefit.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Owen, you're the chemist and you know how very toxic TEL is to handle. The fact Podell can ship his snake oil without a hazard sticker is proof there isn't much there.

thnx, jack vines.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 17:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yeah Jack, I'm a bit suprised also that it doesn't have a FLAMMABLE and TOXIC shipping label, though the product label contains both warnings. I spent a lot of years doing health and safety labeling for hazardous chemicals, I'm not an expert on shipping classifications but I'm also suprised to find that loaded ammunition and gunpower just comes regular mail or UPS despite it's hazards. The bottle carries profuse and professionally written safety warnings, and the label states that it contains 14.8 grams of tetraethyl lead per quart. It also states that the mixture is "EPA Registered" though it's unclear to me just what that means. Directions for use indicate that 1 quart per 10 gallons of gasoline will raise the octane about 1 point, and 3 quarts per 20 gallons will raise 99.5 octane gasoline to 103. I don't think it's relevant whether that's "research" or "motor" method for this statement.

What I can say about it is about a quart every other tank fillup essentially quenches the preignition that I get on hard fast drives.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 18:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It is my understanding that gasoline formulations vary by region. Here in middle Tn. 83, 87 and 93 octane are the available choices in octane.
As long as i run the 93 octane streight from the pump, NO additives and just about any brand i get no preignition not even in hot weather on hard acceleration. I've run timing as fast as 12 degrees BTDC but usualy about 8 to 10 BTDC.

The lower octane rates WILL creat some preignition in hot weather.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 20:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Ok..so i will be using 93 octane but i am living in South Florida, the temps can get in the high 90's and never below freezing...any suggestions for oil type...I will be dropping the pan.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 7:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved