Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tubeless tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Somewhere here I remember someone mentioning sealing their rim so they could run the tires tubeless. I checked back through a number of threads here but didn't run across it in the posts.

Thanks John

Posted on: 2015/12/10 16:09
 Top  Print 

Re: Tubeless tires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What year and what type of wheel? Drop-center Packard wheels as far back as 1938 or so should hold tubeless tires as is with no problems assuming the bead-seating surfaces are in good condition. If you're speaking of the postwar wire spoke wheels, yes the spoke heads need to be sealed if you want to go tubeless. Randy Berger has been thru this and should be helpful to you in how he did it.

Posted on: 2015/12/10 16:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
A 1951 200 series is the wheel I was looking at.

John

Posted on: 2015/12/10 16:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Tubeless is fine on those rims. If the bead area is badly corroded then you have to address that first.

Posted on: 2015/12/10 18:38
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
My rims were all pretty rusty, I bead blasted them clean and smoothed the few nicks I found on the bead sealing aurfaces with some sandpaper, then painted them with some Rustoleum rattle can paint. New radials and no problems so far in a year with any of my 5 wheels.

Posted on: 2015/12/10 21:27
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I see it talks about those rims having a ridge to help keep the bead from coming off the rim in case of a flat. I always thought that was a fairly modern thing.
Sounds like we can go tubeless then. Thanks John

Posted on: 2015/12/10 22:25
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved