Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 79

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Spark plugs 1950 Eight sedan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Thad Gegner
See User information
I have a 1950 8 sedan with the 288 CID inline 8 engine. I put in new spark plugs in two years ago, and upon inspection today the central electrode on five of the plugs are simply "gone."

The plugs were correctly gapped when I put them in. I don't know if the auto parts store gave me the right plugs, they were model Autolite 308

My question is, what spark plugs have any of you used with success, and would recommend?

Many thanks!

Posted on: 2016/2/23 18:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Spark plugs 1950 Eight sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I favor the Autolite 308, I have been using them for years in Packards from the 30s thru 1954 with excellent results.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 19:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I would not consider two year old plugs as "new" regardless of brand. They just don't last as well in the old points low compression environment as the modern high energy exotic metal ones.
If the other 3 were "like new" then you know 5 places to focus your search.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 20:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
They just don't last as well in the old points low compression environment as the modern high energy exotic metal ones.

Certainly true, but you should still expect to get 8,000 to 10,000 miles from a traditional spark plug in a Packard or similar vintage engine.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 23:15
 Top  Print   

Spark plugs 1950 Eight sedan- correct gap
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Thad Gegner
See User information
My 1946-1950 service manual only has engine specs up to the 22nd series, and my 1950 is a 23rd series. According to the engine specs in the book, a 22nd series with the 288 CID inline 8 has a spark plug gap setting of .025"-.030"

I hate to assume, but it would be the same gap for the 23rd series with the 288? Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/2/24 12:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Spark plugs 1950 Eight sedan- correct gap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
23rd series engines were direct continuations of their 22nd series counterparts, same specs. So same plug gap. That gap was pretty much the standard for L-head engines, whether GM, Ford, Chrysler, and others.

You did remember to use the metal gasket/sealing washer? Important not only for sealing the compression but also for heat transfer.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 12:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Spark plugs 1950 Eight sedan- correct gap
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Thad Gegner
See User information
If that's the washer/gasket that came with the plug, then yes, I used it.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 13:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Probably just a bad batch of plugs from the factory. Replace the plugs and try again. Was any of the porcelane around the ceentre eletrode broken or chipped or otherwise damaged???? If so then most likely the plugs were handled rruff before installation (dropped on floor etc) caausing the damage.

I have a extremely hi heat motorcycle engine application here that i have rode for over 40 years every year. The spaark plugs will easily run 15K to 20K miles. I think i haveonly replaced them 3 times in 40 years and some 50K miles.

You either got a bad batch of plugs or thee plugs were dropped and carelessly handdled at the factory or store or at sometime before installation.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 20:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved