Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Recent Comments
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 44

PackardDon, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1939 Eight touring sedan for sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Yesterday, while I took the 39 for a 30 mile drive, the engine broke down. Up until yesterday, the car was a nice running and reliable Sunday driver.

The preliminary diagnose is that a wrist pin broke and penetrated the water jacket, as the freshly changed oil has water in it and some small bits of metal in it, some magnetic, and some not. So I'm putting the car up for sale.

It is a 39 four door sedan, Arctic Blue Poly. The bumpers have been rechromed, the dash and window frames have been redone in the correct woodgrain patterns. The body is in very good condition - it had minor pin holes in the trunk which have been fiberglassed. The trunk now has the correct flocking on the sides. Tires are three year old Coker wide whitewalls. The wheels were sanded inside to remove minor rusting which was causing the inner tubes to leak. That work was done three years ago.

The radio head is in, but the receiver is missing. I have a round speaker for it. The car has new wiring from Potomac Packards installed, complete with turn indicators that are mounted on the bumpers, so that they can be removed easily if desired. The running boards have been stripped and coated with Dip-it plastic so they look fairly good. The material can be easily removed and replaced with the newly reproduced running board rubber. The upholstery is an older redo, and is serviceable, but not correct. The top of the back seat has some sun rot.

It has a new muffler and exhaust installed.

The shocks have been redone by White Post, and work well. The brakes were converted to silicone about 12 years ago and work extremely well.
The car has the Goddess of Speed, with minor pitting. I have the original Bail type hood ornament also. The hubcaps are in poor condition.

I have two gallons of the correct Arctic Blue Poly in acrylic lacquer, and two gallons of thinner that arrived last week. The intent was to start removing the original paint this week and painting it in April. That is now been put on hold. Several minor scrapes have been taken care of, and primer installed.

The things that need to be done to the car to have it in good order include:
1.Rebuilding or replacing the engine. I do have a 50 282 engine with overdrive, as well as driveshaft and rear end in the shop. My intent was to install the R11 transmission in the car at a future date. The engine looks in good condition, but I have not done anything with it.
2.Painting
3.Rechroming the trim and door handles.
4.Installing the stainless steel trim on the running boards (easily available from Kanter for not much money)
5.Reupholstery at some time.

The car is located in Billings MT. I'll post some photos later this evening. I'm open to any reasonable offers.

Thanks

Posted on: 2016/2/28 11:12
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 Eight touring sedan for sale
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry to hear the news.

Wow, wrist pin failure is so incredibly rare -did it have wrist pin noise before the incident?

Posted on: 2016/2/28 14:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi David

That is bad news, sorry to hear it, especially after all the work you've done to bring the car back. Do you suppose the damaged cylinder could be sleeved to repair the block?

Steve

Posted on: 2016/2/28 17:27
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day David,

Sorry to hear about this and your decision to sell your '39 . When you sell it, could you please advise so the Registry entry can be noted?

Posted on: 2016/2/28 17:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Not sure yet on the wrist pin diagnosis. I'll drop the pan to see what I can see from there. If anyone wants some photos, please pm me with an email address and I'll send a bunch. Here is an older photo taken a few years ago.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/mod ... ex.php?Action=view&ID=979

Thanks for all of the support over the years!!!

Posted on: 2016/2/28 17:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
David, you're giving up on your packard ownership, or are you looking for something else?
I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck this weekend.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 19:01
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Sorry to hear of your mechanical misfortune David. Maybe you should talk to Troy, sounds like it is right up his alley. It'll be interesting to hear what exactly broke, any symptoms prior to the big bang?

Posted on: 2016/2/28 21:07
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
David,
Very sorry to hear that. Very sorry.
Pat

Posted on: 2016/3/3 13:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
David, bad news!

Posted on: 2016/3/3 14:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
that sux man, sorry to hear!

Posted on: 2016/3/3 16:17
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
1937 Packard 115c Conn. (07/02/2021)
1937 Packard 115c Conn.
1953 Mayfair (06/26/2021)
1953 Mayfair
IMG_20210324_172433493.jpg (03/28/2021)
IMG_20210324_172433493.jpg
Photo of the Day
Rodney Rucker's 2,400 ci Packard V12 powered Blastolene Daytona Special - fvr
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2021, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved