Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

loose knob on window crank
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Does anybody have a procedure to tighten a very loose knob on a window crank handle. The knob is plastic and retained by what looks like a mushroomed over pin. The crank is from a 46 Clipper. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted on: 2016/3/21 17:31
 Top  Print   

Re: loose knob on window crank
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I had some ideas a couple of years ago for another year knob. I posted a couple of ideas and a photo of a 47 handlehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=143701#forumpost143701

The 47 comes apart as I mention and show in the post but since the stem is riveted onto the handle I think it would probably need a new stem once you remove the old from the handle. I expect the old stem would be damaged too much to reuse and expect the damage causing the looseness is the handle hole is worn. You would probably need a larger stem or maybe add a spring washer in the location in addition to an original size stem.

YesterdaysRadio still shows the 41-2 stems as well as the 47 knob in his catalog but since he is shutting down in a month or two if you want any new parts it might be good to get them soon.

One thing that MIGHT work on the old knobs is to pick up an insert for plastics and put that in the knob in place of the old stem. I honestly don't know if the old plastic would tolerate much manipulation but if it will then use a larger screw to fit the oversize hole and some locktite in the insert to keep the screw in the insert after the knob is back on the handle. McMaster-Carr has a variety of styles and sizes of inserts. Do a search for Inserts for plastics.

Posted on: 2016/3/21 18:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: loose knob on window crank
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Howard, Upon further investigation I found the stem is the problem. I'll take your suggestion and try to locate a plastic insert. If all else fails I'll swap the front and rear handles or locate a good used one.

Posted on: 2016/3/21 18:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved