Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Temperature Gauge Inoperative
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
1954 Packard Clipper, Two-door, Club Sedan, L-8, 327ci/165hp Three-speed manual R11 O/D.

Hi,
My O/D solenoid recently shorted out and failed. At the same apparent time, the temperature gauge in my stock gauge binnacle stopped working. My fuel gauge and all the binnacle back lights seem to be fine. Wiring diagrams seem to indicate that the fuel gauge is wired in the same circuit as the temp gauge.
It seems improbable that the fuel gauge would continue to function if the circuit breaker on the back of the binnacle were blown.
Is it possible that the temperature sending unit that screws into the block, has failed?
Thanks again for your insight.
Warren

Posted on: 2016/6/30 6:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Temperature Gauge Inoperative
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Anything is possible on a 62 year old car, even a Packard.
Ground the terminal on the sending unit or remove the wire and ground it to the head on a clean spot. The unit is screwed into the left rear side of the head. Hold for 30 seconds and have someone look at the gauge. If it goes towards hot the sending unit is bad, if it doesn't move then it's most likely the gauge.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 8:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Temperature Gauge Inoperative
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Fred, thanks so much for that reply. I'm not well-versed in automotive electrics, so I appreciate your info.

And now, I will sign off this website and call you up to order my O/D solenoid and some suspension parts.

Best Regards,
Warren

Posted on: 2016/6/30 8:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved