Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 141

BigKev, bkazmer, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 22 »

1941 Packard Clipper Eight Special Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Well my Packard finaaly turned up here in the Uk last Saturday, i managed to collect her from the docks Thursday.The Car seems to be in pretty good order, although the wiring does look a bit tender. Heres a couple of pics will let you know how i get on with the restoration.Are get some better pics over the weekend. Howard

Attach file:

jpg  (81.56 KB)
139012_579bd0d1bc069.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (87.81 KB)
139012_579bd10c8adbe.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/7/29 16:55
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 Packard Clipper Eight Special Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Howardsupereight,

to PackardInfo. I for one will be looking forward and following along as your restoration progresses. I also invite you to include your '41 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry.

And.....did you know about or see this?

Posted on: 2016/7/29 17:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello Mal, and thanks for the warm welcome. I am one for keeping my vehicles stock when I can. Does anybody know of a supplier in the UK where I get a 6 volt Battery, its quite a large slim battery made by Napa.The Napa Number is 7205 and the serial Number is 030268 and the BCI number is 2E. Hope this information helps. I did think about going to 12 volts but this seems to be a bit involved. I am waiting for a manual to turn up from the US along with a few spares i have bought, new brake cylinders, master cylinder. There is a switch on the dash with electromatic on it, what does this do as I am a bit unsure. Also does the car have indicators I can see the markers on the speedo but cant see any switch in the car to use.
Hope you can help. Howard

Posted on: 2016/7/30 1:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard,

1 "Does anybody know of a supplier in the UK where I get a 6 volt Battery, its quite a large slim battery made by Napa.The Napa Number is 7205 and the serial Number is 030268 and the BCI number is 2E." Can't respond about a UK supplier but offer this old long case battery thread, it might help. For what it's worth I use an Optima battery in my Coupe like the guy in the last post of that thread. You might also post this on the PAC Website which some other UK Packard owners use.

2 "There is a switch on the dash with electromatic on it, what does this do as I am a bit unsure." Short answer - The Electromatic clutch is an automatic clutch operation device. Available for free download from the Packard Literature and Manuals section here on PackardInfo under Service, Shop & Training Manuals is the ElectroMatic Clutch Training Manual which will explain it and its operation. You might find the Electromatic Clutch has either been disabled or removed from your car at some time over its life.

3 "Also does the car have indicators I can see the markers on the speedo but cant see any switch in the car to use." I believe(but I could well be wrong) that '41 was the first year that Packard offered indicators although not all cars came so equipped. However the more knowledgeable here will be better able to advise.

Posted on: 2016/7/30 4:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello Many thnaks for that. I have just looked at my car and i think the electromatic switch may be a dh. I cant find any evidence of the electromatic being fitted. the only relay control box is for the charging system. I have heard of optima I may well give one of them a look. just worried about cranking power. Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2016/7/30 4:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have heard of optima I may well give one of them a look. just worried about cranking power.

A single 6v Optima has a considerable amount of power and most find it satisfactory. If there is concern you might check out Tinman_70s project blog at the PAC site for his adaption of two Optima batteries in parallel for increased capacity on the large engines. He recently posted some photos in his blog so will be on one of the last pages. The batteries fit nicely in the long tray and with his custom made cover has an almost look of the original long battery.

As Mal said, Electromatic was an option. It was new for 41 so Packard was promoting and calling attention to its availability in many ways. If no other option needed the space they could have installed the knob on a fixed stem to fill the hole and remind the driver of things he might have had. If the car originally had the option and it was removed, the switch might actually be present and knob will move when it is pulled out. I believe the relays were fairly high on the firewall so there might be some empty holes. Also, 41 units had switches located on the side of the transmission and those might still be present.

On the turn signals, if the car had the option Clippers would have separate bulbs in the rear. Non equipped cars only had space for a single bulb in the tail light housing. If the car had turnsignals, the single bulb housing was swapped for one having two holes for the sockets -- one above the other. The operating lever bolted onto the switch so it is possible it was removed or broken off. If you have a mysterious roughly 6mm stub under the wheel opposite the gearshift lever that might be a possibility. If nothing but an empty or plugged hole is found then the switch is not present.

Posted on: 2016/7/30 8:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Well I have ordered an optima, Ive had a good look and cant see any sign of the electromatic being fitted. Another area of the interior that has suffered from sunlight is the centre of the dash board that the wiper switch is on and the ash sit in the centre its a tyre of plastic surround. So i need to source one of these. Thanks for all the help so far.

Posted on: 2016/7/30 11:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Howard,
Nice to see another UK member on the site. Welcome to the wonderful world of Packard's and this great site. There is a host of knowledgeable folks on this site that have a wealth of info spanning many years and are always willing to come forward with advice and suggestions.
I have run my 34 for two years now on an Optima battery and have been well pleased with it. If you have to fit indicators on your system I would suggest that you don't use the mechanical flasher system with the standard bulbs as they don't show up very clear. There is a guy in the States who makes an electronic unit which is easily fitted and it also contains hazard and timed cancelling, I have the details of it somewhere and I will dig them out if you are interested.
Once again welcome
Regards
Terry

Posted on: 2016/7/31 2:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello Terry I would be interested in that unit. I hope to go through the electrics this coming week and see if its a total rewire or replace just some of the wiring. Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2016/7/31 2:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
I am thinking of fitting a single wire pos earth alternator to my car, would a 30 amp be to large of output, just need some advice. Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 3:07
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved