Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

Ozstatman, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

How many Packards are running?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...It seems I have been reading a great deal lately about Packard Automobiles out of barns and garages and finding themselves back on the road.

Mal continues to add cars to the Owners Registry and someplace I saw that this site has some 6,000 users/members. Hemmings seems to have a couple of hundred available at any one time. e-bay seems to have quite a supply as well. So does the Packard club site/which I know overlaps this site by quite a large percentage.

So my question is: Does anyone have an educated guess as to how many Packards are on the road, these days? Is the total number of those that are running increasing?

Thanks, Ernie

Posted on: 2016/10/1 13:04
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Re: How many Packards are running?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have no idea of a total but you do bring up an interesting point. For so many years Packards were a dog on the market (except for the high end prewar models and a few limited production postwars) and was something that could barely be given away. 51-4 seniors did have a slight following but 22-23 series were not well appreciated nor were the V8s. Now it seems as if there is a decent demand for both and even the other postwars that did have a slight following are increasing their popularity. I guess it boils down to all the 55-7 Chevys are taken now and other desirable Fords and Chevys are so highly priced that the also rans are finally in demand.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 13:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Mal continues to add cars to the Owners Registry...."

Ernie,

Slight correction necessary. I only encourage owners to add their Packards to the Registry and then acknowledge them when they do so.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 14:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I've been reading Hemmings since the 60's and they've never had "hundreds" of Packards listed for sale, not even close.

Ebay has 15-25 listed at one time, at most.

Let's stick to the facts, m'am

Posted on: 2016/10/1 14:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Hemmings online has usually 170-200 (205 today) packards for sale at any given time. And ebay has usually more than 30 (today 38) packards for sale.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 14:59
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
July 2016 Hemmings is in my lap, has 64 Packards in it for sale. It is one of the larger lists I've seen in HMN

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Yes, that's the magazine, but most people choose to only advertise it online.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:34
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The parts suppliers know. Especialy the major long time parts suppliers. know. They would HAVE to know. But they'll never tell.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 21:07
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The answer is........nobody knows. JUst like when someone advertises a particular model of a car and says "Only 3 known to exist" Unless that person has viewed personally all 200 million vehicles in the US etc would anyone know.

Packard V8's answer is incorrect, Kanter Auto has a list of thousands of Packard owners as do other vendors. You can't just total up all that vendors know of as many are customers who have bought from 3,4 or 5 vendors.

Some makes it is possible to know the answer such as the post-war Cunningham. They made 26 and all 26 exist, easy.
Packard made 1 million ++.

There are many Packards for which the owners have not purchased any parts, we have some customers with many cars they have not yet worked on.

Instead of trying to get the "correct" answer, spend your time enjoying your Packard by driving it, working on it or just looking at it

Posted on: 2016/10/1 22:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening...So with what people are saying and the number of folks selling parts, pieces and advice...it is reasonable to think that there are more than a good few thousand on the road around the world.

I only ask as it seems to me that Packards are on the increase, rather than the decrease, especially as we have some folks who restore cars for money even asking us for information.

We even have a few folks who are working on their grandfathers Packards that have not been on the road for many years.

I think that on Monday, I will count the number of members in the Packard Club and Packards International and see what that number might be.

If there are more cars running than say 20 years ago...I think that is cool. Mal I stand corrected, or rather I sit corrected!

Thanks, Ernie

Posted on: 2016/10/1 22:35
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved