Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 173

Joe, Gary Kulp, CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Super-8 Starter question
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Hi, this is kinda strange, I'll explain it as best as I can. I have a '39 Super-8 which according to the manuals has a starter motor that the ID plate says is "DI-1568". So anyway I order a spare starter solenoid as back-up for it because the starter and solenoid in the car look a little beat up (works fine so far though). I receive the new (old stock autolite) solenoid today and spend about an hour getting the button on the end to move back and forth - I like to be able to start the car remotely - as I work on it I see stamped "SS 4001" on it and the book says I should use "SS 4012" so I'm hoping the "SS 4001" will work the same as the 4012.

Heres what's weird though...........I take the new "4001" solenoid and hold it next to the solenoid in the car to see if the mounting flanges are the same and guess what. Where the mounting screws go from side to side on the new solenoid, the one in the car bolts from front to back. So after saying what the heck a few times I wonder if I have the right starter in the car. After much difficulty (isn't it always?) I find the autolite ID plate and instead of seeing "DI-1568" I make out "011668 3T" as best I can. Does anyone know if this is a replacement for "DI-1568"? I'm getting a spare starter from a friend who has a DI-1568 and I have to know if the gears line up with the flywheel that works so well with the starter in the car now. I trying to avoid any damage if possible. So does anyone know if DI-1568 and 011668 3T are the same? Thank you.

Steve Perry

Posted on: 2016/10/6 23:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Super-8 Starter question
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
All senior starters 1929 -1939 will interchange mechanically. The solenoids are very simple, just a pull in coil and a battery feed but as you have found the mountings are of several different types. 1929-1931 or 32 have a foot starter switch, a solenoid has to be adapted as there are no mounting holes.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 0:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
So you're saying all flywheels in the 1930's have the same number of teeth and there should be no problem with meshing correctly?

Steve

Posted on: 2016/10/7 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Please read what I said, all SENIOR 8 cyl starters 29-39 interchange mechanically. I have 56 years Packard experience

Posted on: 2016/10/7 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Thank you Fred for your information, and I value your knowledge of Packards.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/10/7 15:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved