Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
30 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 30

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Problem with charging battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
This has probably been discussed in here at some point, but I could use some input nonetheless.

For several months now I have had a problem with my generator failing to recharge my battery. I have changed my battery twice, had the voltage regulator checked, and rebuilt the generator.

Yesterday, a friend of mine was moving my Clipper around and checked the voltage. With the car off, the voltmeter read 12.65 volts. When he turned on the lights, the reading dropped. Once the car came off idle, he checked it again and it read 12.45 volts, with no fluctuation.

Here is what I am wondering: If the battery, regulator, and generator are good, is my likely problem the wiring?

Posted on: 2016/10/5 11:51
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Re: Problem with charging battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The voltage when at a fast idle is low according to specs. For Delco, at 1600 rpm (2000rpm for Autolite) the generator should be putting out 13.8 to 14.8v at 70 degrees F.. At your 12.45v the voltage is lower than the average standing battery voltage of 12.6v so the lights are drawing current and generator appears to not be charging at all. If the battery is fully charged the voltage will be at the low end of the range but still should be equivalent to slightly above the standing voltage.

To see if the generator or regulator is at fault momentarily short the field wire to ground while you are monitoring the voltage at the battery terminals. With the field grounded the generator should put out maximum volts of close to 15v. If it does go high the generator is functioning and problem is at the regulator. If no change the problem is with the generator. Do not keep the wire grounded any longer than it takes to get a reading.

Posted on: 2016/10/5 12:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Thank you. This is what I was afraid of. The generator is a Delco.

Posted on: 2016/10/5 12:31
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I have been reading about this and I think that I ought to re-polarize the generator and see if that makes a difference. A friend of mine suggested that wiring is not likely to be the problem in this instance. I thought I would disconnect the battery, connect a jumper wire with alligator clips to the armature terminal on the voltage regulator, reconnect the battery, and then the other end of the wire to the battery terminal on the regulator just to get a spark.

Posted on: 2016/10/5 13:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the repolarizing wasn't done when you reinstalled the generator or regulator then absolutely would be the first thing to do. If the voltages are substantially the same after the repolarizing then do the grounded field wire test.

With the key off but everything connected you can just touch a decent sized wire between the ARM and BAT terminals on the regulator and hold the connection for a second or two to do the polarizing. No need for any thing fancy.

Posted on: 2016/10/5 13:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Thank you so much, HH. You offer good, substantive advice that I very much appreciate. I will let you know how things turn out.

Posted on: 2016/10/5 14:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I was told that to test charging, disconnect the battery while the car is running. If it dies then the generator/alternator is not working. I'm guessing that your issue is polarizing. That fixed my issue.

Posted on: 2016/10/5 20:35
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I would think that disconnecting either battery cable with the engine running will stall the engine as the ignition system would have an open circuit just like turning the ignition key off. Also the generator's job is to keep the battery charged, not to provide current to run the engine directly.

Posted on: 2016/10/5 23:17
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The battery and the ignition system are both connected to the generator and they are all connected to each other. It's all one happy family.

You can run a car with the battery disconnected and drive coast to coast as long as you keep the idle up so the needle doesn't go to discharge. Likewise you can run the car with the generator disconnected electrically or belt off for many hours until the charge goes out of the battery, a shorter time if the lights etc are on.

Posted on: 2016/10/6 2:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
I keep looking at V-8 Clippers vs. Packards today mentioned on the internet, in magazines and in these forums and everything seems to be all jumbled up. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but when these cars were new, I always noted that Clippers seemed to have Autolite generators and electrical systems while Packards had Delco. And when it came to carburetors... Packards seemed to all have Rochesters while Clippers had Carters. Now I see Packards with Carters... Clippers with Delcos and Rochesters. I also seem to remember differences in pulley sizes from Autolite to Delco. Nobody ever mentions these things today... but I just don't remember it this way.

I also have seen several 1955 batteries hooked up backwards. Right now, today, there is a 1955 Packard advertised by an auction company on Hemmings... with the red cable (which ought to be positive) hooked to the rear (positive terminal) ...when a 1955 Packard battery should be just the reverse with positive grounded. But there it is proudly showing in the photo of the engine compartment.The battery cables in the photo are criss-crossed in a lovely "X" pattern...but the factory never did that! Auction claims the car underent an extensive restoration...but what's the deal with the backwards battery hook-up? Wonder how it runs...

Posted on: 2016/10/7 20:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved