Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Which Packard could be termed "minimal design"?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
While watching Chasing Classic Cars, the host used the term "minimal design" referencing the beauty of a roadster, because of its simplicity, sleekness, and elegance.

Which Packard could be identified as a "minimal design"?

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/10/28 10:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Which Packard could be termed "minimal design"?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
I respectfully suggest that the quoted TV "journalist" is nuts - this is simply a matter of personal preference.

Simple fact is the Packard Motor Car Company produced cars thru many different eras, each with its own design criteria.

I happen to really like the "simplicity" of the 1941 "120" series sedans. I also like the "simplicity" of the "6-48" series ( those huge monster "T" head six cylinder giants that were replaced by the "Twin Six" in the fall of 1914.

Bottom line - I don't think this is a reasonable question...I would phrase it "which is YOUR favorite design".....!

Posted on: 2016/10/28 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I think it is a legit design question.
Minimal design might be a late '40s Packard 2-door fastback. I'd consider models without all the chrome that are beautiful in shape alone. Some of the export Packards with their black tires and lack of options have that quality. But in that category I put the '53 Studebaker Starliner coupe, the '56 Continental. They tend to be elegant without being flashy. Of course, Shiny suggested, elegance is a matter of taste. I kind of cringe when I see a classic with double spotlights. Less gingerbread is good, IMHO. Minimal.

Of course the Duchess must have her bangles.
Joe

Posted on: 2016/10/28 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The Gray Wolf. Not a production car, but beautifully simple.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/10/28 16:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
[quote]
JoeSantana wrote:
I think it is a legit design question.
Minimal design might be a late '40s Packard 2-door fastback. .....
===============================================

I think what you are telling us, is that is what YOU personally like. I have already noted what I personally like. No problem - I just wish we'd all be more honest and simply say which era of design of Packard we personally like.

I don't think a TV announcer is the best place to find a serious discussion of automotive design history...certainly not on a show that claims it is about "chasing CLASSIC cars".....!

I think you are in error to say that a late '40's Packard is of "minimal design". It has a LOT of design - a LOT of design thought went into it - depending on the series, you could have that very aristocratic "cross-hatch" grill which would identify it as having the big "356" engine....true...some people like to call that "school of design" the "bath-tub" series - but again...all a matter of preference - the '48 - '50 "bath-tubs" won several international design awards. "minimal"....to my understanding of American English...not the best choice of words....! I think you'd have to go back before the 1908 Packards to find a "minimal" design...!

Posted on: 2016/10/28 17:46
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

QCMC
See User information
Shinyhubcap Peter Hartmann would have more credulity if he knew his Packard history better. The Twin Six was not officially introduced and manufactured until 1915 and then as a 1916 model. The design was developed by Chief Engineer Jesse Vincent and transformed the industry as the first production 12 cylinder car.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 14:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day QCMC,

to PackardInfo,

I invite you to include your Packard/s in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 14:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Shinyhubcap said:

Bottom line - I don't think this is a reasonable question...I would phrase it "which is YOUR favorite design".

I agree which model is the simplest design could be debated here for 1000 years, and well it may be.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 14:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
QCMC is correct - he is absolutely right - I should have checked my library - I was at least eight months off on when Packard started promoting the Twin Six. I am no expert on the earlier Packards.

However, I do suggest we recognize that everybody knows what THEY like; to suggest one school-of-design and/or era is somehow "better" dosnt give credit for each having its own merits.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 17:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I think the 1943-1945 Packards were the most minimal Packards.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 18:04
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved