Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Model identification
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Briankarl
See User information
Hello I am new to this site. My name is Brian. My title says model 160 but Haggerty says it must be a 1600 or one of a few others I don't recall. I must get insurance to get my plates but cannot go any further without identifying the model or body type. My VIN is 401170. I don't understand how do identify by that. It is a 1938 four-door sedan.

My father bought this car nearly 20 years ago and lost touch with the previous owner before obtaining title. I googled the man's name and was able to find him and recently get it. When my father bought the car he traveled several hours away to buy it and ironically now the man had moved within 15 minutes of us. Pretty amazing circumstances. Any help decoding this Vin number would certainly be appreciated. Thanks

Posted on: 2017/1/25 17:38
 Top  Print 

Re: Model identification
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Briankarl,
to PackardInfo.

Unfortunately the 1938 year was the only year of that era where Packard used a decal on the firewall for identification purposes and not a metal plate and because of the ravages of time very few decals have survived. However an easy way to tell if yours is a 1600 body would be by the number of cylinders the engine has, if it is a six cylinder it's a 1600. If not, then more info would be required to help identify it, especially photos. The other number you quote "401170", as the VIN, is most likely the Theft Proof Number which is stamped into the firewall and was probably used as an identifier when there was no decal.

Also have a look at the Model Info page here, could help with identification.

Lastly, once you've determined the model, I invite you to include your '38 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/1/25 18:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You can go to the Main Menu. It is on the left hand side of this screen. Then go down to Packard Model Info. When there, select 1938 and there all the model info for that model year is displayed. If the Packard is a 1938 model, then it is not a 160. The 160s did not appear until the 1940 models. Hope this helps.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/1/25 18:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
It varies a bit from state to state. If you're in KY, and it's titled from out of state, you'll probably have to have the police check it to get a KY title. If it's in state, the DMV/court house should have forms to fill out, if you can't tell what the id is. They should be able to retitle it, if incorrect. I'd just leave it 160, if that's what the title says. it worked for this many years. The registration will be what counts if you get stopped. We recently found out in that era, some states didn't title by model year, but calendar year, so it might not even be a '38. Need to check that - compare to pictures.
They don't get too worried about vehicles pre-title era, so they just need some means to ID in case of loss; theft, collision, etc. The purists will say the theft ID is not the VIN but it's a good substitute, if no other markings. At least you can prove it's existence and unchangeable.
I brought my P in from out of state without a title and you just have to follow the procedure and be patient. My other collector car is model ID'ed incorrectly, but the DMV paperwork only has one designation for it. It was in-state transfer and they didn't care when I told them.

Posted on: 2017/1/25 21:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Packard used a decal instead of a metal plate for the vehicle identification numbers. These decals rarely survive and so you are left with the number stamped on the cowl wall and the engine number. It was common practice back in the day to use the engine number when registering vehicles. The cowl number seems to have been rarely used; although, it is permanent as Jim pointed out. You should still be able to identify which model you have from the info on this site even though the registration may show something different. I have a 1963 Studebaker Avanti which got registered as a 1964. I just tolerate the paperwork mistake and call it a 63

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/1/26 11:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Briankarl
See User information
Thank you for the welcoming. What I do know is my title says 38 model 160. However it does have 8 cylinders and my vin on my title matches my aluminum stamped vin plate beneath the drivers side of the hood on the cowl. This plate also includes many patend numbers. Does this sound like it may not be a 38? Either way I will pursue my title transfer. Once it is in my hands the correction process isn't so bad. I had one with a typo of 1 digit off. The current title holder just had to file paper work and wait a while but it was pretty painless

Posted on: 2017/1/26 11:51
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Briankarl
See User information
Sorry I forgot to mention the vin on my plate and title is not the theft Proof number stamped on my firewall. That one is 410954. I have an Indiana clear title that matches the plate on the car signed over to me and I passed my on-site out of state inspection with the sheriff. I have all my ducks in a row except insurance which they will not give me without identifying what model. That is my dilemma where the title says model 160 but Haggerty will not accept. Once I have it transferred I can have the title correct it fairly easy. And thanks again for all your help as well as any to come. P.S. In the next couple days when I get time I will try to post some pictures

Posted on: 2017/1/26 11:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Am I oversimplifying?

cat walk grilles, 356 engine = 40 160 (or 180 I suppose)
38-9 body, 282 engine = Eight
38-9 body, 320 engine (if I recall correctly)= Super Eight

Hagerty understands this
What am I missing?
If your car is a Junior dressed up/modified as a Senior, they have a justified issue

Posted on: 2017/1/26 12:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it still has the original engine the motor number might be a help in narrowing down which model.

Attach file:

jpg  (230.85 KB)
209_588a38f7ed1f6.jpg 1200X1819 px

jpg  (257.61 KB)
209_588a3a5c01ff6.jpg 1480X1610 px

Posted on: 2017/1/26 12:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Briankarl
See User information
I have located my engine number and it matches my vin. 401170. According to your chart it turns out to be a 1937 super eight with a 320-
9 bearing I believe. I will attempt to post some photos soon. Also found a small aluminum disc on the engine that is engraved rebuilt 2 - 1-58 by John& Ray or Johny Ray. It's hard to see. I would also like to add that you certainly cannot oversimplify something for me. I have absolutely zero experience with Packard. I have just recently Learned anything about the car. Been in my father's garage off-limits for nearly 20 years.i've never known anyone with another Packard to compare anything. Any and all information I received is being soaked up

Posted on: 2017/1/26 19:49
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved