Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 79

Kenbwisc, Danny, Dealer1, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

using GPS in a 1955 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I like so many others have become dependent on using GPS to get to a location. The problem is with the negative ground in the 55 Packard electrical system the GPS will only stay on for about 2 hrs then die-is there any way to rewire the lighter to have it + instead of - or does someone else have a solution?

Posted on: 2017/2/23 21:40
 Top  Print   

Re: using GPS in a 1955 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unless it's been modified your 55 Packard is positive ground, not negative as you state. Your GPS will want negative ground, multiple ways to accomplish the change and others can advise you better than I can. But if you change battery polarity you should be able to feed from the lighter socket indefinitely.

Posted on: 2017/2/23 22:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you don't want to swap polarity in the car, the next easiest way would be to buy a male plug for the cigar lighter and a female power socket. Make a short extension setup connecting them together and reversing the wires in the process. I don't know if there is anything like that already made but it would be simple to do.

The center post of the new plug which would contact the negative center in the 55 Packard lighter socket would be wired to the outer shell of the new socket. The side shell clips on the plug which would be positive because of the 55 Packards positive ground would then be wired to the center post of the new socket. That would reverse polarity and if you plug the GPS into the extension socket it would have the correct polarity. You could use that arrangement in any lighter socket in the car. If there is exposed metal on the new socket shell add some shrink tubing over the socket to make sure it couldn't accidentally touch anything that might be grounded in the car.

If you only want an outlet in the front seat and don't mind something not stock I think a better solution would be to add a power socket under the dash and wire it up to the cigarette lighter directly. The shells would connect to the lighter center post and new sockets center post to a convenient ground screw. That would reverse the polarity while keeping all the wires hidden. That would also give an extra spot for a phone charger. Just make sure the mounting bracket is not metal or at least the metal shells of the sockets are not able to short to the dash. Since the shells would be at reverse polarity to the rest of the car and could be susceptible to an accidental short, I would fuse the wire to the shells.

Posted on: 2017/2/23 22:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Buy a road map.

Posted on: 2017/2/23 22:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I have to agree that I usually can outsmart the GPS with a road map. The only time I like it is when I'm looking for a street address in an unfamiliar city.

If you use the map on your phone buy an extended battery that you can plug into your phone.

Posted on: 2017/2/24 10:19
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good advice from HH56 - as usual. One more thing, the lighter socket in the 55s is different size than used today. The modern adaptors will not work in the Packard's lighter socket. You can change the battery polarity to negative ground, but you will need to replace the lighter socket with a modern one. They are available at auto supply stores. The lighter knob may take some fiddling with to get it to fit on the new lighter element.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/2/24 11:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
do have one on your phone? nothing at all needed then - just make sure phone is fully charged before long trips

Posted on: 2017/2/24 11:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Another option is to buy one of those battery backup bricks similar to this.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-20100-Capacity-Technology/dp/B00X5RV14Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1487961960&sr=1-2&keywords=Anker+PowerCore+20100

They can keep a GPS running for half a day or longer and usually can recharge most cell phones 3 or 4 times.

These are also good for keeping tablets running and useful on airplanes that don't have charging ports.

I use mine all the time, and my daughter has one that she uses as well while in class all day.

This one has two USB ports, so you can keep your GPS and something else (Phone, Tablet, etc) charged at the same time.

Posted on: 2017/2/24 13:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good suggestion from Kev. You could also get some BlueTooth speakers and have phone, GPS, and tunes from your smart phone.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/2/24 17:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BDC Quote:
The only time I like it is when I'm looking for a street address in an unfamiliar city.

^^^This^^^

Craig

Posted on: 2017/2/24 18:49
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved