Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 134

53 Cavalier, dick29, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Parade-decorated '51 250 conv - The Old Motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi
Leading this week's 'Four Fun Friday Fifties and Sixties Kodachrome Car Images" on The Old Motor site is this one of an early 1950's small town parade with the Chamber of Commerce float pulled by a green '51 250 convertible (with black-wall tires no less) decorated to the hilt. The Packard also has the rear fender top moldings that became available as an option for 200 and standard on 250 models in the late '52 model run according to Mr. Neal's text.

Interesting, on the Ford dealer's "A1" Used Car lot is a green '37 Chevy which must have been in unusually great shape to merit a front line spot for such an old car by the standards of the times (1953-'54). Next is a black '49 Dodge Wayfarer roadster, one of 5,420 built with the plug-in Plexiglas side windows. Advertised as "America's Lowest-Priced Convertible" at $1,727, it was that but only for three passengers. Only the four cylinder Willys Jeepster at $1,495 or six at $1,530 but it seated four was less.

Enjoy!
Steve

The Old Motor link:
http://theoldmotor.com/?p=164281

Attach file:

jpg  (94.24 KB)
409_592861d8b5910.jpg 1080X629 px

Posted on: 2017/5/26 12:14
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Re: Parade-decorated '51 250 conv - The Old Motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Great photo, thanks. I would love to swan around in a Wayfarer with fluid drive plus overdrive.

The 51 looks like a styling study for a 53 Carib with the wheel wells highlighted.

Posted on: 2017/5/26 12:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Parade-decorated '51 250 conv - The Old Motor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am kind of wondering how the decorations were applied or what stuck them in place. As I recall there were not many adhesives or tapes available back then -- certainly none I can think of that couldn't possibly damage finishes. Maybe some were attached on the stainless but the area over the front wheel piques my curiosity.

Posted on: 2017/5/26 12:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved