Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Assorted screws for bright work on Pacific resto
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

flyntgr
See User information
If there is a company, like Kanter or someone else, where I can order the stainless steel screws in an assortment needed for the Pacific, please let me know. My car has beautifully painted red/black, and will soon arrive home with the need to be fully restored so it can ride the long roads with other modern (?) cars.
Thanks!

Posted on: 2017/9/26 21:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Assorted screws for bright work on Pacific resto
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is not too much available. Max Merritt has some kits with over 100 screws in some of them but I don't know if they cover everything. Do a search on his site in the 48-54 category for interior trim screw kits.http://www.maxmerrittauto.com

Totally Stainlesshttp://www.totallystainless.com has just about any stainless fastener you could want but I don't believe they have any kits.

AMK products has kits for the common brands that might work for some of the Packard needs but again, they are for Ford, Chevy etc.http://www.amkproducts.com/default.htm

Posted on: 2017/9/26 22:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I bought an interior screw kit from Max a few years ago, and they were just not correct. Perhaps they have changed since then, but what I found was that the while the screw was the correct size, the heads of the screws were not. In most cases, the screw heads were too large and did not countersink into the trim like the original screws did. So this left the majority of the screw head above the piece of the trim.

I remember Joel telling me that Roscoe had put together a list of the correct screws sizes that fit. So given that, you should be able to build your own kit.

Posted on: 2017/9/27 12:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Big Kev brings up a very valid point that I should have remembered. Never having used one of Max's kits it did not occur to me that they might have put together something based on the parts manual description only. There are many screws that require a smaller head. I found that out on my 47 where the book calls for a # 6, 8 or 10 size X a specific length. In actual fact the threads and shank are the stated size but the heads are generally one size smaller. This holds for machine screws as well as tapping or sheet metal screws. Some but not all screw specs are in the utility section and may specify this distinction.

AFAIK, there are no Packard interior kits sold by anyone other than Max. To get the correct screws I think it will be a matter of going thru the parts manual or measuring what you have and ordering individually.

Many of the screw stores list special screws in the fashion such as in this bit of sheet metal screws from the Restoration Specialties catalog. There are other screw suppliers as well as Amazon where some sizes can be purchased. Downside is just about everyone except Restoration will require a purchase by the box -- usually 50 or 100 screws. While buying individually is expensive and time consuming, unless you want to put together a few kits with the excess for most it will be cheaper to get the few various different screws needed individually than buying all by the box.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.24 KB)
209_59cbe0c3abc3d.jpg 1234X1098 px

Posted on: 2017/9/27 12:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
When doing the interior of my 1940 bought an Au-Ve-Co kit. Most of the screws in the car have either smaller or larger phillips heads from the thread size. The Fix Kit I got was 6003. Got it over twenty years ago was not expensive then, and may not be available now. I also purchased from Au-Ve-Co several single boxes of 100, numbers are 1483, 1805, and couple more.
In times past it was less expensive to purchase by the 100 or more.
Thanks Todd
Times have changed

Posted on: 2017/9/28 12:43
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved