Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help...can't open wife's door
Just popping in
Just popping in

Edmond
See User information
An ex-friend accidentally pulled the right front door handle off when opening the door of my 41 160 convertible sedan. I can't figure out how to re-install it so that it stays there. Don't know if it is broken or if there's just a trick to it. Any ideas out there???

Edmond

Posted on: 2008/12/30 18:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Help...can't open wife's door
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Edmond wrote: An ex-friend accidentally pulled the right front door handle off when opening the door of my 41 160 convertible sedan........

G'day Edmond,
to Packardinfo and OUCH! I bet that hurt the '41, sorry can't help but there's sure to be other Packard people who can.
And for including your '41 in the Owner Registry, it looks very nice.

Posted on: 2008/12/30 19:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All I can suggest is the obvious, open the door, pull off the inner door panel, and remove the latch for examination. Whatever broke should be apparent at that point.

Posted on: 2008/12/30 21:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
No need to pull off the panel. The screw that hold it on fell off and may be striped. Open the other door and check it out. One screw is all there is.
Greg

Posted on: 2008/12/31 17:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
I don't know your model, but if you are talking about an inside door handle that moves up or down, then there ought to be a set screw as suggested, or a retaining clip. If it's just a retaining clip, you get a new clip, put it on the handle first, and then just push the handle back on.

The clip will look like an almost complete wire ring, except for on both sides, there will be a bend. The bends on the sides of the clip fit into slots on each side of the rear shaft area of the handle. The clip should "snap" around the shaft of the handle, and you should see the bends pop into the slots. It is the bends in the clip going into the slots that keeps you from being able to just pull the handle off. The shaft of the handle goes over a "toothed" shaft in the door. There is a groove near the end of the toothed shaft that, once you push the handle (with the clip on) over it, it snaps on, and you can't pull it back off since the clip goes over the toothed shaft and lodges into the groove.

Be sure before putting the handle on that it will be in the same position as the driver's side, as you want both handles to face the same direction when they are in place and at rest.

A set screw would work similarly, except that you would put the screw in just enough to hold it in the threads of the handle first. Then, put the handle on, being sure it faces the right direction. Then, tighten the set screw (not too tight).

In both cases, there should be no need to remove the door panel.

Posted on: 2008/12/31 18:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think he is referring to the outside door handle.

Posted on: 2008/12/31 18:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
saltydog wrote: No need to pull off the panel. The screw that hold it on fell off and may be striped. Open the other door and check it out. One screw is all there is. Greg

G'day Greg,

I know it's but it's now the New Year here in Oz so you can be the first one I'll "harass" in 2009. Could you please enter your Black '41 120 Convertible in the Owner Registry, together with a pic (Tessa included would be great), any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2008/12/31 19:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Edmond
See User information
Appreciate your comments, guys. BigKev is right...I should have made it clear that it was the outside door handle.

The set screw was in place, although it is close to being stripped, as Greg suggests. It was in there securely enough to hold, but it seems like there is nothing on the shaft for the set screw to hold against and prevent the assembly from coming out. Maybe there was some sort of flange or raised area on the original shaft that is no longer there. I took the attached photo of it, and it does look like something has broken off. Take a look...what do you think?

Ed

Attach file:

jpg  (26.93 KB)
1200_495d288b14f9c.jpg 536X800 px

Posted on: 2009/1/1 15:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
Handle was held onto the base by crimps on the shaft. SO replace the base and drill a small hole with enough space for a washer between the base and the hole. Put it all together with a rolled pin or a cotterpin and your good to go.
Greg

Posted on: 2009/1/2 18:20
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Edmond
See User information
Excellent...that's what I'll do. Thanks, Greg!

Ed

Posted on: 2009/1/5 18:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved