Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
26 user(s) are online (19 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 26

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Can the Clipper spindles be replaced with the spindles from the larger Packards?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1SG
See User information
I have a question about replacing the spindles on a '55 Clipper Custom w/PS with the spindles from the Exec models.
This auto has torsion suspension. The bearing sizes for the Exec class are larger and the spindles should be stronger than the Clipper spindles but as I do not have access to the dimensional data for the knuckle/spindle mounting points, it is hard to say what will fit or not.

Can anyone help? Thank you.

Posted on: 2017/12/4 11:14
 Top  Print 

Re: Can the Clipper spindles be replaced with the spindles from the larger Packards?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The spindles for an Exec are the same as used in the 56 Clippers. They diddled with the bearing sizes and spindle length for 56 so if you use them you will have to use the 56 drums as well.

There is no capacity problem with the 55 spindles or bearings. Your reason for changing? Such changes make it difficult and confusing for the next owner to service the car in the distant future.

A better upgrade in any event would be the spindles, backing plates and drums from a 55 senior car; at least then you get bigger brakes. But then you have to install 51-52 brakes at the rear so that your bolt patern matches front and back.

Posted on: 2017/12/4 13:06
 Top  Print 

Re: Can the Clipper spindles be replaced with the spindles from the larger Packards?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1SG
See User information
As for the why of my question is because we had a bearing failure. The Clipper has 20k miles and we are going through all of the "systems" to bring them upto a level of dependability.

Is it possible, without further modification, to replace the Clipper spindles with the Exec spindles? Or where may I obtain the specs of the Clipper & Exec spindles to see what needs to be done? I have looked "here" at the docs that are online but drew a blank.

I appreciate any help.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 11:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you looking to replace the spindles because the bearing failure also damaged the spindle?

The Packard Proving Grounds has a good collection of original Packard blue prints which would give the dimensions, metallurgical properties, etc. They may have the prints for your spindles. As I recall copies are $40 each for normal size prints. Order by part# which you can get from the on-line 55/56 Parts List.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 12:23
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1SG
See User information
Owen, yes the spindle is damaged and I have access to a complete front brake assembly from a senior car. I will get the prints, thank you.

I just spoke with JD at Max and he has answered the question by cross checking the parts. The only difference between the senior and clipper spindle/knuckle assemblies is the clipper spindle is smaller but the knuckles are the same including the pin.

I must say that the people at Kanter's and Max Merritt have been great support.

Owen, do you have a contact point for the Proving Grounds?

Thank you very much.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 12:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I guess you're not a member of The Packard Club, you should consider it. Their monthly newsletter has instructions on ordering blue print copies, you can email Bruce Blevins at blevinsb33 at aol dot com with the part numbers and he'll advise if they are available and if so, at what cost.

I've obtained perhaps a dozen Packard blue print copies this past year, not always parts but things like general engine assembly notes, etc. A great source of information that for the most part hasn't been tapped by the hobby mainstream yet.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 14:21
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1SG
See User information
Owen, thank you for the reminder. I am a member so I will look there.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 16:13
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved