Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

looking for Fifth Series battery disconnect ideas.....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
We are contemplating installing battery disconnects on our Third and Fifth Series cars. One option is inside the frame near the battery. I have one friend who has installed a switch for a later model inside... under the instrument panel...with the rationale that if you are driving and smell smoke, you don't want to have to stop, run around the car,, open the hood to disconnect the battery.

We would like to hear what other owners have done...

Bob and Gail

Posted on: 2017/12/30 20:47
 Top  Print 

Re: looking for Fifth Series battery disconnect ideas.....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I agree with your friend and didn't want to open my hood either.

Not quite apples to apples as my cars are both postwar but on the 56 I mounted the disconnect switch to the firewall and made an adapter to use a rod and extend operation to use a somewhat unobtrusive knob mounted within easy reach. Some have mounted their switches in the same approximate location but left the original operating lever intact. I didn't want to have to reach that far under and find the switch so did the extension.

On the 47 I used the same type switch mounted under the battery tray but adapted the lever to be worked with a push/pull cable so it could be operated with a knob located under the dash.

Attach file:

jpg  (140.20 KB)
209_5a4852bfcf0e5.jpg 1600X1000 px

jpg  (34.28 KB)
209_5a4852caae749.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (57.38 KB)
209_5a4852d6aa0aa.jpg 1280X479 px

jpg  (154.53 KB)
209_5a4852e4195b7.jpg 1280X961 px

Posted on: 2017/12/30 22:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: looking for Fifth Series battery disconnect ideas.....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Cole-Hersee rotary heavy duty switch mounted thru the front floorboard, up close and nearly against the driver's seat riser. Extremely convenient, just reach down between your feet.

Posted on: 2017/12/30 22:05
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved