Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 172

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Puzzler: 1954 Aluminum head temperature sender
Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I am rebuilding a 54 359 with the aluminum head. There was no temperature sender in the head, only a plug where the sender should go. Upon removing the plug, I found that its diameter is 3/8 NPT, not the 1/4 NPT that every other post war Packard uses. I even have a spare aluminum head and it takes a 1/4 NPT!
There is no listing at Max Merritt or Kanter for a larger diameter temperature sender. They both show the same sender for all 51-54.
Is my situation unique? Does anyone else have the larger size hole? If you do, what temperature sending unit are you using?
I believe that there is an adapter available to reduce the hole size but I thought I would see if there is a different option.

Posted on: 2018/9/27 21:36
 Top  Print 

Re: Puzzler: 1954 Aluminum head temperature sender
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
All the ones I have seen have the normal 1/4 npt. What you have is somone's repair or the leftovers of an aftermarket temp gauge installation. You can get a nice brass reducer at any hardware store.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 6:54
 Top  Print 

Re: Puzzler: 1954 Aluminum head temperature sender
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Echoing Ross's comment above, I replaced the sender a few years back with one from Merritt. Had no complications develop in the remove/replace operation.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 19:52
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved