Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing Vent Windows on '53 Clipper?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JimStulga
See User information
Does anyone have experience in taking out the front vent windows on a '53 Clipper Sedan? Tips? Advice? I have new rubber gasket seals to install (from Steele) and not sure how to begin. Pretty sure the windows have to come out. The old gaskets are still there but very hard and dried out. Thanks, Jim

Posted on: 2018/9/28 9:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing Vent Windows on '53 Clipper?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Jim,

I'm just up the road from you in West Chicago. Take a look at my project blog as I believe I have pictures of all of that as well as your car is nearly identical to my 54 Clipper.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 9:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is that page in my blog that shows some of that vent window:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=129111#forumpost129111

Hopefully, the disassembled view helps a bit. If I remember right, I thought I had to drill out the rivets holding the C shaped piece to the window channel. But I could be mistaken. My frames were pretty crusty, so I had to completely disassemble to media blast the rust out.

If you asking how to get the assembly out of the car, you'll need to remove all door window first, as the post is also the front channel for that window. The bottom is held in by a bolt through the inner door panel.

Hopefully, the pictures help.

PS: Also, here is another pic I found when installing the seals:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/newbb/1_51e5689a87d39.jpg

I think this shows by freeing the top corner, you'll get enough room to remove the window, change the seal and reinstall the window. Don't forget the division seal as well.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 9:42
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JimStulga
See User information
Thanks BigKev for your help and photo's!! So glad I asked instead of blindly digging into the job. Way different than I guessed; installing gaskets in place. Looks like it is done on a work bench with the whole assembly out of the car. Thanks again neighbor. Jim

Posted on: 2018/9/28 10:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe the wing window glass can be replaced with the assemble in the car as it is just pulled out of its frame. But yes, replacing the rubber, or window channels is not simple or for the faint of heart. I am sure originally, someone would have just ordered a replacement assembly from Packard since parts are riveted together.

I believe that the '53 Clippers are the same in regards to the '54 lock knobs in that they are pretty much "one-time-use".
Those plastic knobs push down over a barbed shaft and they can be very difficult to remove without destroying them. Joel Ray (Patrician Industries) has a good selection of these NOS knobs so get a few of them from him and squirrel them away for future use.

You cant remove the window surrounds without removing the lock knobs. And you can't remove the door panels without removing the surrounds....and so on. So having a few spare knobs that match the color of your existing ones is recommended.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 13:41
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JimStulga
See User information
BigKev, Now that you mention, I do remember about those door lock knobs. Thanks for the lead on where to get replacements.

Going to tackle this job as a winter project. Have copied your tips and photos of the vent window parts for reference when the time comes.

Again, can't THANK YOU enough!

Jim

Posted on: 2018/9/29 14:17
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You are welcome!

Posted on: 2018/9/29 15:26
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved