Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Early Packard Colors
Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Hope you can help
We are having a debate about what color the early Packard's were.
I am going with black, but someone in my office produced a hemming article that stated the old number one was maroon and that was typical for cars of that period
Pre 1905 were the cars a lot of different colors?
Did the black color come to pass with the Model T?
Thanks
W James

Posted on: 2018/10/25 15:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Early Packard Colors
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Any and all colors were available on early cars in general, most makers limited the choice to two colors. The painting method was a laborious sequence of priming, color coats and varnish, all with long drying periods between. Drying involved trips through baking ovens at temperatures high enough to set the paint without setting the wood framing alight. Spray enamels and lacquers were still in the future. Packard being a high-priced car could accommodate the additional expense of color choice availability.

The old saw about a Ford in any color as long as it was black came about because of a production reality. Early Model T Fords were available in a choice of colors until the massive bottleneck that the painting process became as production volumes escalated. The black japan absorbed heat more readily therefore set quicker than other colors. In order to speed production, Ford limited the color to black. This was true until the mid-'20's when improved methods allowed Ford to achieve production volumes and include other colors. Duco lacquer was introduced to the market in 1924.

The book, A Century of Style, 100 Years of American Car Design by Michael Lamm and Dave Holls has a good account of the early painting process.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/10/26 7:17
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Thanks Steve, very interesting and informative.

Posted on: 2018/10/26 10:30
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Thanks, that great and I got an answer to all my question but one.
Does anybody know what the original color of "Old Number One" at Leigh University was?

Posted on: 2018/10/26 12:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Was, and still is ...black.

Attach file:

jpg  (115.99 KB)
177_5bd357d3cbe34.jpg 993X691 px

jpg  (118.86 KB)
177_5bd3583d462bd.jpg 687X524 px

jpg  (128.29 KB)
177_5bd3586ac07a1.jpg 1189X793 px

Posted on: 2018/10/26 13:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved