Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Distributor Problem
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shadetree77
See User information
My '51 300 with 327 engine stalled out and died on me recently. After some inspection I removed the distributor cap and found a good amount of fine metal shavings in there. The shaft doesn't seem like it has any play in it. Cap and rotor are new from Max Merritt so I should have the right ones. Any suggestions as to causes or solutions?

Posted on: 2018/11/4 16:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Distributor Problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the upper busing is truly OK what about the centrifugal advance mechanism and weight pivots. The weight pivots need a drop of oil or some light grease on occasion. Some distributors have a felt pad in the top of the shaft under the rotor which also needs a few drops of oil. I believe that felt takes care of part of the advance mechanism. Some distributors also have a bearing in addition to the felt and that bearing needs a bit of light grease. Anything that has been running dry in the advance area could be the source of powdered metal. The cam lobes need a very light coat of grease on the surface to lube the point wear block. If the block has worn the dwell or point gap should have changed.

Posted on: 2018/11/4 16:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What are the shavings, brass, steel, aluminum? Metal posts inside the cap OK? Rotor tip?

Posted on: 2018/11/4 16:49
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shadetree77
See User information
HH56,

I have lubricated all of the points mentioned recently and the advance system seems to be working as it should.

Owen,

Upon further inspection the shavings seem to be from the contacts inside the distributor cap. Looks like the rotor has been making contact with them. The end of the rotor is worn too.

There is no side to side play in the shaft/bushing. It does kind of seem like the rotor doesn't fit very snugly onto the shaft. Is it supposed to sort of "snap" or "click" onto the shaft? Mine just seems to lightly sit onto the shaft. It is very easy to remove the rotor. I could almost see it being able to move around on there but I'm not really sure.

Posted on: 2018/11/4 17:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No snap, no click, but it should fit snugly. Some rotors have a steel shim in the pocket to insure a tight fit. Were all the cap posts scraped or just those on one side of the cap? If the latter, how about the cap, was it properly centered in the distributor body before the clips were engaged?

Posted on: 2018/11/4 18:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved