Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gas gauge removal
Just popping in
Just popping in

dumper
See User information
I have a 1938 four door sedan convertible that I am having trouble with the gas gauge reading correctly. I have had the tank sending unit reconditioned but the dash gauge still indicates full when the switch is on.

the tests we have done indicate the dash gauge is faulty.

it looks very difficult to get the gauge out. Hopefully we must be missing something.

Can anyone tell us the secret? Thanks

Posted on: 2018/11/18 22:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Gas gauge removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi 'Dumper',

I have a '39 4-DR sedan and can only speak to THAT fuel gauge, but presuming they are similar, the unit isn't that hard to remove. One disconnects the wires from the gas gauge and ammeter (careful, as the ammeter wire is hot regardless of the ignition switch being on or off) and then there are 4 studs on the back of the dash to which the gauge cluster is attached. Mine were secured with 1/4" nuts and a hand, nut-wrench seemed to be the easiest thing to use; the 2 on the outside of the cluster body must come right off and the two closest to the speedometer need only be loosened as they 'share' a common stud with the speedometer body and once loose the unit will come right out. The tin back has pressed 'latch-catches' and these can be gently pried apart with a flat screwdriver. After that, it is a simple procedure to remove and replace the gas gauge register. Also, check and make sure the sender unit is grounded to positive as that was the problem with mine - somebody had had it apart and put it back together negative ground. Hope this is of some help, good luck. Chris

Posted on: 2018/11/19 2:07
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved