Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Gosford Motor Museum Closure - Packards for Auction
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Went to look at the cars up for auction, which include three Packards:

First is a 1930 704 Roadster. Very good condition. Replica body after a different bodywork diversion. Left hand drive and expected to return to US. Not much interest locally. They had it for sale for a while at A$300K.

Second is a 1939 1708 Twelve Limo. Looks quite original, but paint is bubbling in many places and obvious water leak around the thermostat housing. This is supposed to be a car imported into Australia privately some years ago. Looks like a 20-30 year old restoration. Still LHD. Data plate does not match the details in the Registry, or previous commentary. Looks like it may have been changed? Now showing 1235-2107. Was supposed to be 1235-2044. This was for sale a while back at A$125-150K, but no takers. Quite a nice old thing but history/ID rather hazy.

Third is a well-restored 1955 400 in black/white also LHD. They were trying to get about A$50K for this. Already bid up to about $25K, so will probably go close. Not everyone's cup of tea!

Will try to attach some pics in separate message - I'm slow, so it will time out on me!

Brian

Posted on: 2019/3/26 19:18
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Re: Gosford Motor Museum Closure - Packards for Auction
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Trying to attach pics below:

Attach file:

jpg  (103.93 KB)
191498_5c9ac375679ad.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (107.45 KB)
191498_5c9ac38d72666.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (85.42 KB)
191498_5c9ac3a5333fc.jpg 1024X683 px

Posted on: 2019/3/26 19:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Quick update on the Packards for auction at the Gosford Museum:

The auctioneers claim that the 1930 740 roadster was originally this body style. Nor true says the guy who built the current roadster body, it was originally a sedan and he informed them accordingly. I indicated they had a price of A$300K on it recently, but apparently they were looking for A$450K a while back.

The 1939 1708 V12 limousine was originally imported to Australia more than 30 years ago, in need of quite a bit of work cosmetically and mechanically. Max Hood was the second owner of the car, and did some work on it before selling it on to Andrew Lidden (via auction). There is a picture of it in Andrew's shed, taken in 2005. It appears to have sat for around 20 years, before being purchased by the Gosford Museum a few years ago from Andrew's estate. It now shows evidence of an overheating problem with the engine. At one time, they were asking A$150K for it, but $125K more recently.

All three of these cars (including the nicely restored 1955 400 have already reached what might be considered fair prices in pre-auction bidding. It will be interesting to see what happens at the auction tomorrow.

This information provided in the hope that it might be of use to others considering bidding for them.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2019/4/6 1:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thanks for the info Brian, the better informed the market is the better for all.

Posted on: 2019/4/6 1:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Re: Gosford Motor Museum Closure - Packards Auction Results
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Well, the Gosford Museum auction has been and gone. There were some rather odd diversions in proceedings. Makes you wonder about the transparency of the process.

Most bidding was online. I wonder how many of the bidders had seen the cars up close before bidding. There was only a small crowd in attendance at the auction. Most seemed to be there for the spectacle.

Some prices fetched by other marques seemed well over the top. One wonders if these were genuine sales.

The 1930 Packard 740 Roadster went for about A$285K (including buyers premium). Top money for a car with a non-original body style, but maybe that's less of a concern outside Australia.

The 1939 1708 V12 limo went for about A$90K. Quite expensive considering the amount of work needed and non-original data plate.

The 1955 400 went for around A$45K. Probably about right, given its extensive restoration.

Bidding was anonymous, so no idea whether anybody in the Packard fraternity bought any of these.

Despite this being described as a liquidation sale nothing sold very cheaply. It was not really a liquidation sale because there are probably at least twice as many cars still stored in sheds etc around the museum. No news of how/when these are to be sold.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2019/4/7 6:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Years ago I fixed up a Twin Six that had what sounded like a $30,000 engine noise for a $25 part. It had an engine by E.C. Last. After fixing the power brakes, sorting out the front bumper, and setting the timing correctly the car ran and drove very well. It was on the market for $275,000. Everybody said it was a fake and knocked it down, but the VIN matched the car and it had a prototype dash panel indicating it was a very early production number. It sold for near the asking price and proceeded to bounce around the dealer auction circus with all sorts of screw ball sales verbiage indicative of today's craziness. The last time I saw it one of these experts drilled a hole in the prototype instrument plate and put a button there destroying the part forever. I contacted the place and inquired why anyone would do such a thing and it was clear they didn't know anything about cars.

I think that sums up the situation very well. The economic landscape today is loaded with examples of money gravtitating to places that makes no sense. Here in Michigan plants are closing down right and left because the economy can't support enough car sales. Yet the old car circus keeps roaring ahead as if it was 1928. I see this and that TV personality talking about these cars with a self proclaimed authority that is right out of Herman Melville's worst nightmares. I guess in the end they are going to take all of these relics with them. However, I can think of a lot of better ways to have fun with $250,000 than buying some car that nobody understands other than talking about how much it will sell for at auction.

Posted on: 2019/4/7 14:42
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Valentine
See User information
Hi Brian,

My name is Rowan and I purchased the V12 Packard from Gosford approx 10 months ago now.

Im in the process of trying to find out as much as I can about the vehicle and was wondering whether you might know any history of the vehicle.

How did you know that the vehicle identification plate should read '1235-2044' instead of what it now reads (1235-2107).

Thanks again

Kind Regards

Rowan

Posted on: 2020/6/20 21:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Rowan,

Both these Owner Registry Entries reference Data Plate '1235-2044'.

1 - '39 Twelve Sedan Limo

2 - '39 Twelve Sedan Limo This entry has some info on its history.

Posted on: 2020/6/20 23:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Rowan

Sorry, I just read your posting and replied to your recent PM about this car.

I was imported many years ago and belonged to a guy called Max Hood. He had extensive work done on the engine by somebody else, which apparently did not go smoothly.

There are at least two of these in Australia. There are also two entries in the Registry on this site for 1238-2044, before it came to Australia. 2044 is probably one of the other cars now in Australia, which is in Adelaide. Nobody has a record of the number on your car. The plate looks to be a reproduction because the font used for the stamped numbers is incorrect (although the number could be right). There's no doubt it's a genuine 1708 V12. There are differing stories about the history of the paintwork. These may be mixed up with the records for 1238 2044. Most of these cars were originally the same dark blue, so that could easily happen. Some parts have certainly been repainted, but when I saw it at Gosford it needed doing again.

When I was trying to research the history of this car, I drew a blank. I hope you have more luck!

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/6/21 0:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Rowan,

Attached is an article of mine which appeared in the August 2012 issue of "The Packardian", PACA's magazine. In it are some details of the ownership of 1235-2044, which may be of interest?

You, and others, might also find the article of interest in itself?

Attach file:

doc Size: 4,517.00 KB; Hits: 125

Posted on: 2020/6/21 0:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved