Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1956 Packard 400 color of engine transmission and valve covers
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

56PKRDGUY
See User information
My 56 400 has gold engine and valve covers with black writing on the covers PACKARD. Need to know if this is correct and whats the color of transmission.
I am having the transmission rebuilt starting today.
Thanks Guys !!

Gary

Posted on: 2019/7/21 14:57
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Packard 400 color of engine transmission and valve covers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
56 Senior engines and transmissions were bronze color. Hirsch and I believe Kanter has the correct color paint. 56 stock rockers were silver with red lettering. Chrome covers were standard on Caribbeans but could be ordered as accessories for the Patrician or 400.

Here is an illustration from a sales brochure which I think is fairly accurate but like most sales items, they were printed early and could have later changes as well as any artistic license that might have been taken. The oil fill pipe is an example. The cap is correct but I don't remember if the tube is black as shown or engine color.

The photo is of a 56 which was promoted as a very low mileage original car but the fill pipe is not seen.

Attach file:

jpg  (106.65 KB)
209_5d34ca7641bcf.jpg 1060X972 px

jpg  (48.43 KB)
209_5d34cc9e64664.jpg 792X522 px

Posted on: 2019/7/21 15:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
HH56 is right. But the problem with the images in the literature for 1956 Packard is that the images showing the engine were printed in the wrong hue. They MAKE the engine look gold when it was actually a rich shade of coppery bronze.

Several sources have tried to make a gold paint that is dead wrong, but people continue to use this color on 1956 engines. May have tried to restore 1956 engines in this color. Saw one just last week.

Bill Hirsch used to have the right color shade and paint that worked well on the engine.

Oil filler tube on two of my cars was engine color with black cap.

Posted on: 2019/8/2 13:34
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

56PKRDGUY
See User information
Yes I did get the bronze color from Bill Hirsh. They only have in the can not spray. I did repaint the trany with it
and will do the rest od the engine with it. Question so the
valve covers are to be silver then correct. Who makes the correct paint for the 1956 Packard valve covers?

Posted on: 2019/8/7 10:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

56PKRDGUY wrote:
Yes I did get the bronze color from Bill Hirsh. They only have in the can not spray. I did repaint the trany with it
and will do the rest od the engine with it. Question so the
valve covers are to be silver then correct. Who makes the correct paint for the 1956 Packard valve covers?

Bill Hirsch bronze engine paint looks great when brushed on... and can be touched up.

Yes, valve rocker covers (unless ordered in chrome) were painted silver with red lettering. Check with Bill Hirsch people or Stuart at Kanter's for the paint.

Posted on: 2019/8/7 12:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Pictured is an engine painted using the actual Ditzler formula that was graciously provided me by the leading expert on these cars.

However, I can't find it perhaps because he asked me not to distribute his property. It's been so long I don't remember if I saved it.

Attach file:

jpg  (207.23 KB)
373_5d4b5b2be31f7.jpg 1920X1277 px

Posted on: 2019/8/7 18:14
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

56PKRDGUY
See User information
Thanks for the photo came out real nice.

Posted on: 2019/8/8 10:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
I've had a lot of 1956 Packards over the years. A lot of them. But none of my water pump pulleys were ever engine color. All of mine were painted black from new... again, despite what the artist's concept illustration in the literature shows. I also have original photos taken of new 1956 engines-taken in 1956. None show a water pump pulley in engine color.

Posted on: 2019/8/8 19:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
You're right. I remember having another pulley in my hand that was black. But let's look at the positive side: That oversight is a lot less destructive than painting over radiator shells that were originally chrome plated.

Posted on: 2019/8/9 5:29
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

56PKRDGUY
See User information
Just another question. So wanted to find the engine number to verify numbers matching car. I found the the number at the front of the engine top in the center near valley pan
area. Mine is 56873868 same as my Vin number is that correct? Is there another number? Thanks Gary

Posted on: 2019/8/10 10:51
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved