Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 105

29tons, kevinpackard, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Aftermarket "green glass " windshield and windows
Just popping in
Just popping in

scottyjim62
See User information
Hello all, i am new to the forum. I recently purchased a 1951 250 convertible and the windshield and sidelight window need to be replaced. Looking on line i see these "green glass" aftermarket windows and windshields. Does anyone have experience with these? Do they fit?

Posted on: 2019/11/16 16:15
 Top  Print 

Re: Aftermarket "green glass " windshield and windows
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
I had some vent windows cut by All City Glass in MN and it was very reasonable, came very fast & best of all, it fit!

Posted on: 2019/11/16 16:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The side glass is all flat glass and just about any quality glass shop should be able to cut new laminated glass to fit -- particularly if your old glass is still good enough for a pattern. If no pattern is available from your existing piece then several online places have the patterns and can cut you a perfect replacement.

The windshield is another matter as it has a slight curvature so I expect you will need to go to a shop specializing in old glass and see if they can still source a replacement windshield. The windshield was slightly different for convertibles and hardtops as compared to the sedans so no idea how much stock you will still find. Finding new convertible glass may be as difficult and expensive as finding windshields for the 55-6 models.

The modern sun shield type glass may not be the same shade or tint color as the old heat absorption type Packard used so that is another thing to be aware of unless you plan on replacing all of the glass.

Posted on: 2019/11/16 17:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information

Posted on: 2019/11/16 19:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard, there was someone in the midwest Okla, Missouri? who were remanufacturing 55-56 windshields. I bought one - have to go over to storage and check label on box (haven't installed it yet). This was several years ago. 51-54 would be tough to find today.

Posted on: 2019/11/16 21:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Randy, Phillips Classic Auto Glass in MO was one maker of the repro 55/56 Caribbean windshields, there may have been another in the very early years. His usual run was 25 units, I believe he made at least three runs over the years; I bought mine from him about 2000 or 2001.

He also had (still has?) a very extensive inventory of NOS early curved glass windshields.

Posted on: 2019/11/16 21:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Again(lol) Thanks for the clarification Dave. He would be a good go-to guy because he was fair and responded quickly.

Posted on: 2019/11/17 1:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Scottyjim62

Welcome to this friendliest, most knowledgeable, enthusiastic, generous, helpful and civil Packard forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and encouragement here standing by to avail yourself of as you tackle every problem. A great deal of historic information is here for the simply filling out your knowledge base.

There are no dumb questions. After all, these cars are all now 60+ years old but fortunately interest in, knowledge of and parts support for remains at a high level. Ask any and all questions that arise, but do a search first which because so many problems have been encountered by others on the same issues, will frequently produce instant answers to the problem at hand.

To document your progress and share it with all of us, please start a project blog in that section. Not only does it make it easier to post your questions but also to find the answers later for reference. Of course, we all like to see how things are progressing too. Check out the other ongoing Project Blogs for ideas as well.

Good luck with your 1951 250 convertible. Please show us what you've bought and keep us up on your progress.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/11/17 13:28
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day scottyjim62,
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include your '51 250 Convertible in the Packards Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/11/17 15:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If you have the flat glass cut locally, be sure to ask for polished edges. If you do not, they'll be somewhat rougher and not only do not slide as well but they don't look quite right either.

Posted on: 2019/11/17 17:00
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved