Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 to 12 volt conversion
Just popping in
Just popping in

Donpack
See User information
I have a 51 packard 200 deluxe. I was wondering if someone had done the 6 positive to 12 volt negative ground conversion and had to do anything special with "directional switch" or blinker switch circuit other than changing from 6 to 12 volt flasher? I have successfully completed the conversion for everything else( all lights ). Everything works great other than blinkers.

Posted on: 2020/3/25 15:50
 Top  Print 

Re: 6 to 12 volt conversion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One thing those early 50s Packards are somewhat prone to is corrosion and rust affecting grounds to the various bulbs. Make sure there is a good ground at each bulb housing before totally blaming something else for the lack of signals.

One thing to check is the type of modern 12v flasher to make sure the pinout is identical to the old 6v style. Many of the new flashers are differently constructed so pin locations and functions are different. If you can find an original thermal style flasher for a 1955-56 model that one should plug in and work. If a new replacement flasher is all or part solid state, going negative ground should not be an issue with those as far as polarity. Trying to convert if the ground stays positive is more of an issue. Part solid state flashers usually will work the outside lights because those bulbs stay on a thermal contact setup. The dash indicator light(s) on some partial solid state modern flashers use a transistor to work them and that needs to have the transistor be designed to work with the cars ground polarity as would a full solid state unit.

Here is an extraction of the turn signal circuit showing the pinout of the old thermal style flasher and how the rear turn signal filaments get their brake and signal power thru the switch.

Attach file:

jpg  (213.91 KB)
209_5e7bc797c8465.jpg 1920X1157 px

Posted on: 2020/3/25 16:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Donpack,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '51 200 Deluxe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/3/25 16:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Donpack
See User information
Thanks guys for all the help. I'll check all grounds and clean blinker switch. Also, will try to find 56 packard flasher.

Posted on: 2020/3/25 16:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Afternoon...I'll bet Kantor and Max will have them. Max had one for our 49 Deluxe not too long ago...It looked like it was new. Plugged right in and works great. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/3/25 18:20
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information

Posted on: 2020/3/26 2:11
1951 200 Deluxe Sedan Valiant Green Metallic
Vehicle #:2462 8372
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved