Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 Six transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Based on a past thread or two here and over on the AACA forums, I went to Tractor Supply today and purchased a bottle of "Traveller Ford Tractor All Mineral Oil 90 Transmission Fluid". I helped my father years ago when he added gear oil after removing the floor boards of the car. It had been very low and needed more but it was some standard gear oil to the best of my recollection. My question is should I drain what is currently in there before I add the new oil and if so, how?

I know I usually have some pretty basic questions, and I try to do my homework by looking in my physical copies of the Motors Manual that covers 1937 and the Packard Operation And Maintenance Data as well as the Shop Manual on this site, but sometimes they take for granted that I should have more practical knowledge than I really do.

Posted on: 2020/2/2 18:48
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 Six transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You can check and fill the transmission oil without having to remove the floor boards, if you can jack up the car. Take it to a quick lube and have them check and fill, if not able to jack it up. A good transmission oil many of us have found to work well is a modern GL-1 85W-140 fluid available at your local auto parts store.

Posted on: 2020/2/3 11:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Cartrich,

Attached is a picture of your transmission and you can clearly see the drain plug (front) and the fill plug (rear). Following John's advice (and making sure you block the car up safely) I would undo the drain plug and just let a bit of oil out and have a look at it. If it's totally black, it certainly wouldn't hurt to drain it completely and refill with new oil. They only take around a quart, so not an expensive flush. If you can see through the lubricant, it would probably be okay to top it off. You can't overfill it as the fill plug only allows the correct level and then it will just run out. The bigger issue here is 'where is the oil going'?? If it's leaking, that is something you should address and it also might be time for a 'condition evaluation' of the tranny itself. How does it shift and are there any noises you can correlate to any shifting or specific gear running, etc.?? Kanter has a minor service kit for these gearboxes for around $150 and if you remove the unit, clean it up and take it to a good transmission outlet, you should be able to get it redone reasonably. When I took mine out, I noticed a bit of play in both input and output shafts and, although it wasn't leaking per se, (no drops on the floor) there WAS a bit of oil weeping past the seals, so definitely time for a service. Good luck. Chris.

Attach file:

jpg  (224.99 KB)
121627_5e386d8c0d4b9.jpg 1732X1154 px

Posted on: 2020/2/3 14:08
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
this is a VERY easy trans to rebuild.

also do yourself a favor and get one of those pump attachments that you can hook on top of the oil bottle.

tilting the bottle up high enough to fill with the trains in the car is a pita.

Posted on: 2020/2/3 17:31
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
For what it's worth, the photo is of a 39 or later column shift transmission whereas 38 and earlier were floor shift.

Posted on: 2020/2/4 12:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Good point, Pat. I was just trying to to show the drain and fill ports. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/2/4 14:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Idle curiosity, what is one of these trans worth?

Posted on: 2020/2/6 13:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The last 1937 transmission I sold went for something like $150 and that was after advertising it for years. That was over a decade ago, though, so maybe higher now. Of course, I paid nothing for it as it came installed in my 1941 Henney-Packard so was replaced with the proper transmission as soon as possible.

Posted on: 2020/2/6 13:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
The one in the picture is out of my '39 Six; came with the car, so no idea on 'whole cost', but had it rebuilt for around $300USD, so, somewhere in there.... Chris

Posted on: 2020/2/6 14:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry Reber
See User information
I have a pump for my outboard lower unit refill that fits a quart bottle. I got mine years ago at West Marine

Posted on: 2020/2/14 16:48
Larry Reber
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved