Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

12 volt battery cables as a auxiliary engine to frame ground?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Having 4 6Volt cars with the heavy battery cables I was thinking of using some spare 12 volt battery cables as accessory ground cables from the engine to frame ground. I'm trying to use the cables for something beneficial(?) instead of hanging on the shop wall. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2020/3/13 11:58
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Re: 12 volt battery cables as a auxiliary engine to frame ground?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not a problem with that idea as long as there is no embedded corrosion on the wires where they are fastened into the terminals. IMO, many Packards could benefit from an extra ground between the engine to the body or frame. Most aux grounds on cars equipped with them were in the 8-10 ga range and the larger 12v cables will work just fine. You will need to replace the battery post terminal with a regular eye terminal maybe having a smaller diameter hole depending on where on the frame or engine you want to bolt onto. Most good parts stores will have individual terminals in the wire gauge your cables will need. I think solder on is best if you have large enough solder equipment to attach them and can get the wire very clean so solder can flow into the strands but you will probably find the crimp on type terminals in the stores.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 12:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Thank you Howard.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 12:53
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
IMO, many Packards could benefit from an extra ground between the engine to the body or frame.

My 1940 came standard with an extra ground; from transmission to frame.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 13:22
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From what I can find, the extra ground connection Packard installed near the transmission on prewar cars was apparently needed because the under seat battery ground cable was connected directly to the frame and the second large ground strap connected the frame to the engine. They seem to have stopped using the extra ground strap with the relocation of the batteries to the engine compartment where the battery ground cable could connect directly to the engine.

Until 1955, the only aux postwar hard ground connection appears to be a small 14 ga wire connecting the generator case to the fender and continuing on to the regulator. That ground wire was needed for a solid voltage reference between the generator and regulator. It seems the accessories and lights -- actually anything mounted on the frame or body -- relied on that wire plus whatever metal to metal connections in linkages and tubing there was between the engine and frame for their grounds. For 55-56 they added a short approx 8 ga strap between the R head and body.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 15:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Proper tool for the job is always the best approach.
Jumper cables are made to jump start cars with low batteries.
Grounding straps are made to use for grounding.

if you want to cut up the cable to get a section of cable to make a strap via end clips that's your call. Again a local hardware would have large gauge wire to adapt. Frankly, for the few bucks I'd go to the part store for a ground strap and keep the cables in tact. Sell them, if not needed.

Also, investigate why you think it needs additional grounding as there maybe other issues to resolve.

Posted on: 2020/3/17 15:31
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved