Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

CarFreak, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Thermostat gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Hello, quick check mid-project! I got this thermostat kit from one of the big two. Why am I remembering a post that said it's supposed to be a paper gasket? Is this incorrect?

Attach file:

jpeg  (290.20 KB)
181869_5e9c8c3d27818.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/4/19 12:37
 Top  Print 

Re: Thermostat gasket
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you asking if it must be paper? Any gasket material suitable for use with water and coolant is fine.

Posted on: 2020/4/19 13:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Thank you! That answers the question! Just hoping to do this one time this time!

Posted on: 2020/4/19 13:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The thicker cork gasket such as the one you showed can actually seal better if the surfaces are irregular so personally I prefer them.

Posted on: 2020/4/19 13:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One thing for a one time attempt is to make sure both surfaces are completely clear of the old gasket. Use a scraper and even some gritted material if you need to and get every last bit of any old stuck on gasket material off both surfaces. Also check the surfaces and particularly the thermostat side it it is one of the stamped steel housings for any pitting or rusted areas. The cast iron usually holds up to pitting better than the steel but it can still occur. If the defect is large enough the coolant will find a way to seep thru. If you find any rough areas I would also apply a thin coat of coolant friendly sealant such as non hardening Permatex or Silicone to the gasket.

Posted on: 2020/4/19 13:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi H.E. Penny Packard,

Just my opinion, but I would use some kind of additional gasket sealing compound with that gasket. There are numerous choices out there and everyone has their 'pet product'. I say this as when I put my new engine back together, that was the one place I had a persistent leak. Not a bad one, just a constant drop by the housing when it had been sitting overnight. Draining the antifreeze to take it apart is a pain, so to get it properly sealed the fist time is optimal. Chris

Posted on: 2020/4/19 13:53
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved